I need a pulley (v-belt) setup for my big block 454. Ideas?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I am assembling my 454 engine. It originally used a serpentine belt setup with huge oddball brackets; for a variety of reasons, I don't want to re-use any of them. I'm looking to install a few traditional brackets with two or three v-belts to spin everything--old school simplicity is what I'm after. At first, I'll only be running a power steering pump and an alternator, though eventually I plan to also hang an A/C compressor on there somewhere.

I did already buy a shiny new aluminum water pump (though I haven't yet opened the box). I know there are short nose and long nose variations; mine has a short nose. It is also a clockwise rotation pump, for the record.

Now comes the challenge: figuring out which brackets will let me mount my accessories, and then finding said brackets. My co-worker Mike ended up buying an entire fancy billet setup for his 454, but I don't need something that blingy or that expensive. I'm fine with "re-purposing" old junkyard hardware so long as I know it will work for me.

Thanks to the two pump sizes, I'm worried whatever I buy will inevitably be wrong. Can you guys give me some guidance that will increase my chances for success? Can I use stuff from a small block, or perhaps even another brand of GM engine of similar vintage? I'm in the dark here.

Any help you can provide would be very... helpful.

boogie_4wheel

Subscribing for my project as well.

Have TBI454 that I'm debating mounting up all my old small block stuff to. Engine had hydroboost, and I want to use my original PS pump on my '70 C10 instead of mess around trying to find the correct pump and then correct/custom hoses. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad, I'm not far enough along to worry about it yet.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have a complete set of 72 Chevy truck big block brackets (with AC and air shroud) in the basement. I was going to put it on my old 72 before I sold it. The only challenge would be finding all of the small stuff mixed in with the box of small block brackets.