A/C shops

Tebbsjeep

I replaced my compressor about two years ago and it's no longer coming on. I'm not familiar with air conditioning at all. Is there a shop in the woods cross/bountiful area that you guys recommend? Any leads would be appreciated.

Tebbsjeep

I was thinking about them. I used to run parts around up here 6 years ago but I don't have any connections with the shops anymore. I like the guys over at tunex but I don't think they do ac.

SWALLDOG

I've got all the stuff at my house to do a/c. I can take a look at it if ya want. I live in woods cross. Also My neighbor has a mechanic shop on 5th South in bountiful, West of the tracks. He is good at a/c. Does a lot of the people around here. His name is Tim and his shop is force automotive.

http://www.forceautorepair.com/

Probably at work under a truck

boogie_4wheel

I'd hit up SWALLDOG for checking pressures and such for troubleshooting the clutch engagement.

I took my truck to Extreme Auto Service just off the Parrish/Legacy exit. I replaced my leaking condenser and took it to them for an evac & recharge. Price was about $50 less than what they quoted me over the phone ($101 out the door), was approx $50 cheaper than what Dave's Auto quoted me (and charged me to do an evac & recharge on my Ford Escape a couple years ago). Everybody I called on a Friday was booked out till at least Wednesday the next week. They said bring it by, got it there just after lunch and they were done by closing.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Jakes Radiator. On 200 w. In Bountiful.
No questions asked he is the best!
He is fast and honest and inexpensive.
Most everytime I take stuff to him he gets it done under the time quote.

I agree 500%, he has done 2 a/c systems and repaired 3 radiators for us the last few years and will always give him my business.

DAA

Yeah, but... Jakes totally wasted a gas tank for me too.

Explained, at great length, in detail, that it was an original from a rare, ultra collectable cycle, that getting the rust inside taken care of was important but that the paint on the outside was by far more important and no matter what that I'd rather pay full price just get it back still rusty inside than have even the slightest damage to the paint.

I got it back TOTALLY FAWKED UP on the paint. And the creme job was nothing to write home about either, I could have done just as good or better with a DIY kit - I have, several times.

They dry humped me and broke it off inside without so much as a tissue to wipe myself off with.

They'll never, ever, ever in a million years see me there again.

- DAA

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I replaced my compressor about two years ago and it's no longer coming on. I'm not familiar with air conditioning at all. Is there a shop in the woods cross/bountiful area that you guys recommend? Any leads would be appreciated.

What vehicle? The compressor on my WJ didn't come on this spring when the weather turned warm, turns out there's a switch somewhere that stops the compressor for coming on when it's really low on refrigerant. I picked up a DIY kit from Autozone and as soon as it got some refrigerant, the compressor came on and it was good to go. Saved me time and hassle from dropping it off somewhere to be diagnosed.

Brad J

What vehicle? The compressor on my WJ didn't come on this spring when the weather turned warm, turns out there's a switch somewhere that stops the compressor for coming on when it's really low on refrigerant. I picked up a DIY kit from Autozone and as soon as it got some refrigerant, the compressor came on and it was good to go. Saved me time and hassle from dropping it off somewhere to be diagnosed.

I did the same thing to my Explorer a couple days ago when the Compressor was cycling off & on. It now stays on all the time & blows really cold air. I bought a $10 can at AutoZone since I already had the dispenser from using this last year

https://www.amazon.com/ACP-100-Professional-Synthetic-Conditioning-Refrigerant/dp/B007USCM7E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_236_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=41T029krfwL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=17H0FKXS0YQG1XKA848Y

ACP-100.png

Tebbsjeep

My clutch isn't cycling at all, so I don't think those recharge kits will work without me putting a vacuum on the system.

It is pretty common for the clutch to never engage if there isn't enough pressure (freon) in the system. There is typically a low-pressure switch that will make it never turn on if there isn't enough refrigerant.

Tebbsjeep

Big thanks to swalldog for helping me get my a/c working. We looked at it on Friday morning and all it needed was some more refrigerant. We also found out it is leaking from one of the schrader valves, but I'll fix that later. The drive up to Idaho this weekend would have been sweltering without a/c. There are some pretty cool and generous people on here, and I am very appreciative for all of the help and suggestions.

thenag

I use this writeupt for a/c stuff
http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...conditioner-conditioning-system-home-1665946/

Basically if you leaked it all out, fix it, pull a vacuum fill it with the correct weight (not pressure) of refrigerant, be aware if you think you leaked any oil out. The recharge cans at Autozone make it easy to over charge your system, or at least I did it once, and damage other things.

If you plan on having the a/c for years it is worth having a shop evacuate the system, make sure it holds vacuum, and fill it up with the proper oil and refrigerant.

Of course having said all that when I had a line wear through on the xj, I replaced the line, put the suction side of my york on the A/C to pull vacuum, filled it up with recharge cans and 4 years later it still works great, but I am sure it rusting away on the inside.

If someone has a a/c vacuum pump on RME I sure they could setup a rental system. (Honestly next time I have issues I may buy one...)

In my notes I have that you could use a cooking scale so that you could somewhat measure how much refrigerant you have put into the system... I haven't ever done that...

Nathan

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It is pretty common for the clutch to never engage if there isn't enough pressure (freon) in the system. There is typically a low-pressure switch that will make it never turn on if there isn't enough refrigerant.

That was the case with my truck recently, 2 cans later and blows ice cold.