Help me decide: 2016 F150 or Power Wagon?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
The boss says its time for me to get a company truck. I've been looking at the F150's and the power wagon.

Here's my question - I bought a 2005 ram 1500 off the lot back in the day, and almost immediately regretted it. It had the 5.7 hemi, but seemed to be a dog. It never got the fuel economy listed by dodge (I could squeak out 14 on the highway if I tried hard), never seemed to have good shift points, and just felt like a cheapy truck. Sold it with under 10k miles and swore I'd never go dodge again.

That said, the new Rams look awesome, some folks are saying the fit and finish has gone up in the last 10 years, and the off road chops of the power wagon is pretty awesome.

I have driven my boss's 2015 3.5 ecoboost f150 and really like it, so I would say its the leading contender (that, plus my boss used to work for Ford so I'm sure it would make him happy...)

However, I just really like the look and idea of the 2016 PW. Being a company vehicle, I personally don't have to pay for any repairs out of warranty, and we have a whole bunch of Rams and F-series in the fleet, so I guess I'm not as driven by reliability as I might be on a personal purchase. And, when I built out both trucks how I would do it, they both came in mid $40's, so price wise I would call it a wash.

Thoughts?

DAA

If you aren't paying for fuel, the PW might be cool.

That's what my wife wants for her next vehicle. I'm balking at the MPG though...

- DAA

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I did some test driving today and drove the Dodge Rebel 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi, Ford F150 with a 5.0 and Ford F150 with the EcoBoost. Since 2011, Dodge has greatly improved their interior fit and finish over what it used to be but compared to the Ford, it is still a step below when you compare the Lariat I drove to the Rebel. Now while it may not be the best comparison, I would still say that about comparing the Lariat to my Laramie trim in the 3500 dually I have.

Engine wise, the 5.7 had a little bit more get up and go than the 5.0 but the 5.0 gets a little better gas mileage. Overall I was impressed with the EcoBoost power and if I decide to get a half ton truck, I am leaning towards the EcoBoost.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Put three people in the back of each truck with you sitting in the middle then Go make your decision.

My brother owns a dodge 3500 with the 60/40. I'll walk before I ride in the back seat of his truck.
The newer 50/50's are very nice though.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
If you need to tow much or spend much time at elevation and value peace and tranquility, the Eco will shine. Hook all three up to 8k# and drive up to Soldier summit and you will know. All three can do it but the Eco will do it at much lower RPM and sound levels. I used to pull about 8200# trailer and gear from Heber to Strawberry Res. and it would hold the speed limit (65 mph) @2700 rpm for the majority of the way with cruise and tow/haul on. Just before the top at Daniels pass (maybe the last mile before the summit) where the incline kicked up, the truck would drop a gear and rev to 3300 rpm for a bit. Unloaded, this thing almost never downshifts on the highway with cruise set.
This is a 2013 3.5L eco supercrew that weighs about 700# more than the new ones. 3.55 rear but with 33" tires-vs-32" stock, so about 3.41 equivalent rear end.

Last edited:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Put three people in the back of each truck with you sitting in the middle then Go make your decision.

If he never has to sit in the back, why should he care? :D That was my reasoning with how uncomfortable my YJ back seat was. I never had to sit back there, didn't bother me!

Pike2350

Personally, I like the Fords....I just purchased a 2012 F-150 Eco super crew and have been loving it.

When I worked at Jack-It, I got to drive all of the different makes, and I always like the Fords the best....I think their interior is nicest....although, when you get to top of the line, they all get a lot closer. While I like the Power Wagon on principal, I still think a nicely appointed F-150 looks the best. As for mileage, I am getting around 16.7 in mixed driving on my Ecoboost, with 3.73 gears. I think the newer ones you should be able to see 17 pretty easily in mixed driving...but it can be hard to stay off the skinny pedal.

I also have a personal "ethical" thing dealing with both GM and Dodge/Ram. With the whole bailout from years back, I've told myself I would be very hard pressed to ever by either of their products new again....that may change in time, as the affects wear off from the bailout/corrupt restructuring, but for now, I like that Ford was the only one of the big 3 that didn't need the bailout.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
If you aren't paying for fuel, the PW might be cool.

That's what my wife wants for her next vehicle. I'm balking at the MPG though...

- DAA

Yeah...the fuel economy appears to be miserable. From the real world MPG's guys are posting up, I figure the difference between the PW and the ecoboost MPG's comes out to $14k over 5 years with how I drive (30k miles/yr)

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I also have a personal "ethical" thing dealing with both GM and Dodge/Ram. With the whole bailout from years back, I've told myself I would be very hard pressed to ever by either of their products new again....that may change in time, as the affects wear off from the bailout/corrupt restructuring, but for now, I like that Ford was the only one of the big 3 that didn't need the bailout.

Yeah, I hear you on the Ford respect. If a Raptor were on the table there wouldn't be a hard decision to make :) But lockers, 12k lb winch from the factory(!), swaybar disconnect...ramboxes....these things tend to cloud my thinking, and make me ignore rational concerns, like, you know, horrendous gas mileage.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Can you get the locker on the F150 you can on the Super Duty?

Yes, which is one of the things that makes Ford so much cooler than Toyota. You don't have to order up a $3k options package, consisting mostly of cosmetic nonsense, to get a locker, you can select a vinyl floor work truck and throw a 3.73 rear axle with locking diff for relatively little money and no other upgrades. Which makes me wonder why people pay an extra $750 for the FX4 package which does not seem impressive (plastic skid plates are awesome!).

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Yes, which is one of the things that makes Ford so much cooler than Toyota. You don't have to order up a $3k options package, consisting mostly of cosmetic nonsense, to get a locker, you can select a vinyl floor work truck and throw a 3.73 rear axle with locking diff for relatively little money and no other upgrades. Which makes me wonder why people pay an extra $750 for the FX4 package which does not seem impressive (plastic skid plates are awesome!).

Well, to have the FX4 sticker is worth at least $500 :rofl:

(I'd do the F*rd if I were in your shoes)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I hope this holds true for you, in my case it didn't. When I ordered my truck I ordered exactly the perfect truck. As the build process proceeded, it became clear I wasn't getting the truck I ordered. F-150 Lariat with every option possible (would have got the Platinum, but the seats were butt ugly). Knowing I would be running 35's, I picked the 4.10 gear option.

A couple weeks into the build, the phone calls started. You can't get the 4.10's without the Raptor package. Ok, lets just do the 3.73's.

A week later, another call. You can't get the 3.73's without the "Max Tow" package. The package doesn't really consist of anything other than the big, dorkey Elephant ear mirrors. I couldn't have those due to garage door issues, so I ended up with standard mirrors and 3.55's. It's kind of a dog on 35's, but I don't have to drive it often.

Pike2350

In 2015, the FX4 package really became nothing....skid plates (thin aluminum like years past) and upgraded shocks (I believe Bilsteins)....and a locker if you didn't already get one equipped with the tow package, or by choice...oh, and Decals as Mbryson says. They split the pre 2015 FX4 into 2 options...the FX4, as stated, and the Sport package....that gave you the body colored bumpers, black grill, center console with shifter etc. Mines a 2012 FX4, and I really wanted no chrome and the center console with the floor shifter...so it had to be FX4 or a modified Lariat....which is where you could get the floor shifter.

One thing that may be nice....in 2017, they are coming out with the 10 speed auto trans

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I hope this holds true for you, in my case it didn't. When I ordered my truck I ordered exactly the perfect truck. As the build process proceeded, it became clear I wasn't getting the truck I ordered. F-150 Lariat with every option possible (would have got the Platinum, but the seats were butt ugly). Knowing I would be running 35's, I picked the 4.10 gear option.

A couple weeks into the build, the phone calls started. You can't get the 4.10's without the Raptor package. Ok, lets just do the 3.73's.

A week later, another call. You can't get the 3.73's without the "Max Tow" package. The package doesn't really consist of anything other than the big, dorkey Elephant ear mirrors. I couldn't have those due to garage door issues, so I ended up with standard mirrors and 3.55's. It's kind of a dog on 35's, but I don't have to drive it often.

Wow, I probably need to do some research. When I "built" my truck online it would walk me through what was available only on certain packages or configurations, so when it let me get it how I wanted I figured that's how it could be built.