In need of a new bike

airmanwilliams

I just pulled my old bike out of storage after a couple years and the shift cables are both blown out and im told it would cost quite alot to replace them. So, I am looking at some other options and thought I would ask some of you seasoned guys if you like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/322188653033?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

With wanting to finish the smoker trailer real soon and still having $6k to pay off of invetro bills I don't have much to spend hence the link to that cheap bike.

airmanwilliams

Would it really cost more than a new bike to fix your old cables?

I personally haven't checked but a lady at work had her boy check it out since he has worked at a couple shops and the whole family competes and they all say it would be around $70 per cable just for parts cost. Current bike is an old Schwin from my father in law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Unless there's something awfully weird going on with your cables, $70/ea is ridiculous and I think somebody is confused. This is enough cable and housing to service your entire bike. If you want to bring your bike by I'll check it out. Could be the cable housings just need cleaned out and lubed, and if they do need replaced we'll order you that kit and I'll help you throw it on.

But to answer your question, no, that thing you linked is not a good bike.

Tonkaman

I'm sure that number included labor to replace and adjust everything. Back when I used to work in a bike shop it wasn't uncommon to have a repair bill higher than the original purchase price of fine cheapo bikes.

sixstringsteve

got a pic of your schwinn? That bike you liked to isn't worth wasting your money on. It's a throw-away bike. Most shops won't even repair one of those.

- - - Updated - - -

it shouldn't cost more than $25 in parts to replace your cables and housing.