Vintage plates???

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I like my plate but maybe drive the rig a few times per month. Fits my use very well

http://dmv.utah.gov/plates/special-group#vintagevehicle

Vintage Vehicle

Click image to enlarge
Unique Vehicle Special Group
About This Plate

This plate identifies a vehicle at least 30 years old, is primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation. This plate may be personalized with up to 5 alphanumeric characters by submitting TC-817, Application for Personalized and Replacement License Plates with the required personalization fee. A vintage vehicle, as defined in Utah Code 41-21-1, qualifies for an exemption from safety and emission inspections.
Requirements:

• $16 Special Plate Fee
      • No Annual Contribution
      • $4 Postage and Handling
      • Identifiable into one of two categories:
        • 30 year vintage vehicles: 30-39 years old
        • 40 year vintage vehicles: 40 years and older

Ashcat

It's more about safety and possibly tax structure. You don't need vintage plates to be exempt from smog. All but the 4 metro counties are exempt from smog but still require bi-annual safety and cost more to register.

It is detailed ad-nauseum in another thread, but at some point (25 or 40 years old), you are able to do your own safety inspection also. This is where I'm headed once I have the mog's front axle back together.

1adam12

THE BEAST
I'm looking at an old 2wd pick up for my son's 16 bday next month,it will mostly be used just to get to and from school. I get the whole abuse thing I get angry everytime I see a side by side on the roads in utah and Davis county,and sometimes salt lake

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'm looking at an old 2wd pick up for my son's 16 bday next month,it will mostly be used just to get to and from school. I get the whole abuse thing I get angry everytime I see a side by side on the roads in utah and Davis county,and sometimes salt lake

I think I'd go with the "normal" registration process for that rather than a regular commuting vehicle with the Vintage Vehicle plates for that. A teenager doesn't need any additional reasons to get pulled over...(or do they?)

EB101

One other concern, I've had a couple friends run into trouble with their insurance company. Apparently it throws your vehicle into some other class and they got dropped. I've not had any issues with mine yet but my insurance guy hasn't seen me drive or taken pics since before I got the vintage plates..

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I didn't think about the insurance issue. My CJ is 30 years old next month. Was it hard to get the plates? Was it just the form or did you have to bring in other documentation?

mbryson

Supporting Member
I changed mine about 4-5 years ago? It was super easy. They asked if I understood the limitations I was plating for and gave me some plates after I gave them some $

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Nice. Now I need to think of something cool for the plate. 5 characters and something about CJ,86, stretched, long, unlimited, etc

Attachments

• IMG_8152.JPG
    IMG_8152.JPG
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Seven

I didn't think about the insurance issue. My CJ is 30 years old next month. Was it hard to get the plates? Was it just the form or did you have to bring in other documentation?

Was pretty easy for me. I just walked in with title, Paid the money, and walked out. My DMV lady didn't say a thing to me. I am going to be honest. I did it because I was worried about passing smog. I have a 86 Samurai that had been in my garage for 3 years and was sitting out in field for at least 3 years(probably more) before that. The muffler is completely wrapped in some sort of muffler tape from previous owner, It has a couple of small exhaust leaks, I noticed that one of the O2 sensors isn't attached to anything. it probably gets driven about once a week right now and just local.