Toyota Chop top land crusher build

comingdown

toyota buggy build

Alright, Colten "coco" started putting bad thoughts in my head about making a buggy out of my 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser. I bought it totaled about a year ago and was just going to fix the damaged rear passenger door and the bent axle. Build my own bumpers and put it on 37"s and wheel the crap out of it. Well, I got as far as removing the fender flares and putting a new door on. I bought a 97 40th and the 94 went away in my backyard to become a lawn ornament. We talked in passing about chopping it up. So, one day, I sold my 97. For whatever reason, this was the catalyst I needed to start on this thing. We pulled it in my shop, and out came the interior, followed by the sawzall and it quickly became a convertible. I had planned to keep most of the body, but the more I look at it, the more body I remove in my head. Plan is now to keep basically the firewall and some floor, basically the trans tunnel. The rest will be tube. This could all go very badly, or awesome. Plans are to keep stock engine trans and tcase. Trail gear gears in the case. Colton is doing one tons so I will be buying his front axle and steering for this, so I will do a 3 link up front, and do a modified 4 link rear. Hoping to make a 4 seater that can actually fit me and 3 normal sized humans comfortably. Ditching stock fuel tank for fuel cell. Rear will be stock axle with grizzly locker and 4.88s to match the front. Thinking 37" or bigger tire. I will figure out how to post pictures and get some up here. Still have a lot more stuff to remove before we get to the cool stuff but hopefully we can do that soon.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You guys got a bit done for all of the TP'ing the ole FB and grab ass that occurs when you two get together.:D

...Subscribed :cool:

comingdown

The 4x4 fairy left me a special surprise. I ordered the swag kit to adapt the hazard freight air/hydraulic ram to it. Did a little bend with it just to make sure it worked and am really glad I did. That would've made for a long roll cage build.

comingdown

I got the conversion done. Pretty neat set up.
We are having a problem with the die, the u shaped piece on the end that holds the tube. We got it to go in with some major massaging with a hammer. Seems like it shouldn't be this hard, would it be awful to take a rotary file and open that up so it is a smoother operator?

Top view, hard to tell but it is just barely not lining up. Thoughts or solutions? I could send it back but would rather try to just use it.

comingdown

Also, back to the drawing board and gonna try to keep some body. Colten is gonna do some artistical renderings to help us get the vision.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Also, back to the drawing board and gonna try to keep some body. Colten is gonna do some artistical renderings to help us get the vision.

Coco better sharpen the crayons...:p

Assuming there was no pre-load on the die or clamp bolt while you were trying to insert the pin, I'd guess that the U bracket will "fine tune" itself after the first bend.

comingdown

Yeah, it is too tight. I can get it close and smack it in with a hammer, but it is still extremely tight. I may file it and see how that goes. Just enough to get the pin in and start using it.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
It will stretch some as you use it. I wouldn't worry too much unless it doesn't loosen up after the first few (more) bends.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
So Woodward fab is just a clone of the other 2? That's weird. It's not like the other 2 are expensive so yeah anything cheaper could certainly suck