Experience with ford 6.2??

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Does anybody have real world experience with the 2011 and newer Ford 6.2 V8 engine? It is the base option for the F250 and F350 trucks. It seems to have great reviews from those who own them online.
The F250 shows more horse power and Torque than the F350 though.. Can any one explain that?? (edit: only some sites show the lower HP/T for the 350)

It also has the flex fuel option. I've always thought that was stupid, but in truth, I know nothing about it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It is the motor that is in the '13 Raptor I picked up a couple weeks ago. Good power, ok gas mileage, sounds cool. I have not towed anything with it yet.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've heard they compare quite well with the V10 they replaced except they get about 20-30% better fuel mileage. FWIW, I've been very impressed with the 5.4L 32 Valve in our Navigator and the 6.8L V10 in our '99 Super Duty. With your nightmare with the 6.0L, I think you'd be very happy with a 6.2L

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I had an F250 at work for a while with a 6.2, had good power, lost a lot at elevation like any other naturally aspirated motor. only averaged about 13mpg which is only slightly worse than what my 3.5 ecoboost (13.5) is averaging in the same environment.

and on a side note, that 6.2 is a fantastic sounding motor

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks guys.
I am leaning towards trying to buy one. There Are a couple good options available right now. The problem is that I have a ton of cash into the 6.0, and may or may not ever get it back.. I don't want to pull a loan for a new truck, and I can't stomach spending a lot until I have a better idea of what is going to happen with the 6.0.
.. But I need a truck, so we'll see what happens.

I am totally in love with the mirrors on the newer trucks. I have always hated the mirrors on the earlier trucks (like my 6.0). I was going to buy the upgrade kit to put on my 6.0.
I like the rear locker option on the 6.2. I like the interior options also, but I imagine I would end up with an XLT model without all the fancy gizmos inside.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The V10 is still available as well, and it pulls like a mule on meth. I have it in my 2010 31 foot motorhome and I'm very impressed with it. Between the Moho and the Jeep behind it, that motor rocked on our 2 week summer trip to Oregon. Over 19k lbs of vehicle.