Canyonlands - Needles, The Maze

cackalak

So close, but I have yet to venture into Needles and the Maze. I was just curious what sort of minimal vehicle requirements I'll need? Current set up is an F150 at stock height on 33" tires. So pretty much stock. Will I have any issues going through these places? Should I be ready for body damage? Thanks.

DAA

Stuff like air damn and if you have any factory style running boards will get dinged. Maybe even a bumper. Overall though, I think you should be fine. It does depend on exactly where you want to go, too. I'm presuming the Doll House and Elephant Hill. I'd be a lot more comfortable with some functional rock sliders on a stock height half ton, personally.

- DAA

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Took my brother on the Colorado Overlook in Needles last year, me in my stock F150 on 32s and he in a rented late model Silverado. He ripped the air dam off half way in and decided to park it, but my truck did fine. Line choice makes a difference. :)

The biggest problem I have with wheeling the F150 is the length and breakover. Skids and sliders would definitely help with line choice when the trail gets rocky. For 95% of the stuff in the Maze it's fine, for that last 5% you learn to stack rocks.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I think a full-size would be tricky on Elephant Hill. Especially coming down the switchbacks. And getting through the squeeze would be a tight fit. My land rovers are almost too wide for that. there are some pretty tight sections that are a lot more suitable for a Land Rover or Jeep sized vehicle.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
H1s get through Devils Crack, an F150 at stock width shouldn't have much trouble. The switchbacks would be more problematic, he'll definitely be reversing through at least one of those sets.

DAA

Yeah, plenty of room right there for an F-150. I saw a Raptor through there, they are about the same width as an H-1, stock width will fit with ease.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Those are full width axles with H2 wheels and 38" Kevlars. I think an F150 will get through there pretty easily.

IMG_0929.JPG

cackalak

Thanks for all the inputs. Looks like I'll remove the front air dam and running boards before heading out. I'll have to maybe get some short mud flaps to minimize rock chips. These KO2's like to sling rocks.