General Tech Supercharger expert in Salt Lake area?

Troysterr

Aspiring Rock Crawler
I had a RIPP supercharger installed in my '09 Rubicon a few years ago. Recently, it started making some noise...probably a bad bearing. The dealer that I had installed it only knows how to replace the supercharger...at over $2K. I'd like to consider some options, including going with a different supercharger (I understand there is another brand that is easier to tune).

Does anyone know of a shop or mechanic in the Salt Lake City area that specializes in superchargers, or that may be able to give good advice on what I should do?

thenag

Not really in SL but, Turbo Labs in Orem would be worth a call.

Joe seems like he knows quite a bit about forced induction and performance mods in general.

Nathan

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Have you called Ripp for post-purchase customer support? If they're half-decent, they'll hook you up with new bearings and a set of instructions to change them. You could also ask them if they have any dealers in the SLC area that are capable of servicing your supercharger.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Karl at Absolute Performance in sandy. Hard to get him on the phone and don't go there durning lunch. Other than that he's great with super chargers.

Troysterr

Aspiring Rock Crawler
Have you called Ripp for post-purchase customer support? If they're half-decent, they'll hook you up with new bearings and a set of instructions to change them. You could also ask them if they have any dealers in the SLC area that are capable of servicing your supercharger.

It's actually a Vortech supercharger, and Vortech's website says that only they are authorized to service their SCs. So I don't know whether RIPP would want to piss off their supplier. There are rebuild kits available on the web, but I don't have the expertise to rebuild a SC by myself, and I wouldn't know when I open it up if there are other problems besides just the bearings. I'll check with Jim Moen at SL HD.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's actually a Vortech supercharger, and Vortech's website says that only they are authorized to service their SCs. So I don't know whether RIPP would want to piss off their supplier. There are rebuild kits available on the web, but I don't have the expertise to rebuild a SC by myself, and I wouldn't know when I open it up if there are other problems besides just the bearings. I'll check with Jim Moen at SL HD.

I would still call them and talk, in case you haven't. A phone call can go a long way when you're a customer.

Troysterr

Aspiring Rock Crawler
I would still call them and talk, in case you haven't. A phone call can go a long way when you're a customer.

Good point, thanks for the advice. I called them, and they suggested that I send the supercharger in to Vortech, and that I need to take RIPP's bracket off before sending it in. The guy I talked to also let me know that I can drive the Jeep without the supercharger if I just put on a stock belt and a cheap aftermarket filter. I didn't know that--I was afraid that it wouldn't run naturally aspirated. That means that I could carry a stock belt with me and be able to drive out if the supercharger ever failed on the trail.

Troysterr

Aspiring Rock Crawler
Joe (Turbo labs) is actually in Europe for the next few weeks. And he's almost exclusively turbos
Jimmy Moenn inside salt lake harley is who i have do the precision rebuilding of superchargers that we aren't able to do here at Orion Off Road

He actually has his own specialty machine shop inside salt lake HD

So, how do you get ahold of Jim Moen? I've tried calling HD of Salt Lake half a dozen times and I always get put on hold and no one ever picks up.

Troysterr

Aspiring Rock Crawler
So, how do you get ahold of Jim Moen? I've tried calling HD of Salt Lake half a dozen times and I always get put on hold and no one ever picks up.

Never mind, I finally got through. Jim's a super nice guy, but Vortech isn't in his wheelhouse. Thanks again for the suggestion, though. I'll try sending the SC back to Vortech (hopefully via RIPP so they can remove their bracket).