Let's talk dirtbike tires

Tonkaman

The Xtrainer comes with these monster balloons for tires and I've had a very split opinion on them. The size is 140/80-18 so the selections are very slim.

It wasn't until I was tire shopping that I learned about the FIM/ISDE standards that this tire was made to conform to. For those of you unfamiliar with this like I was it's basically a tire designed to be easier on the environment by having knobs that are 13mm tall max and 80% tread. These tires are made to float on top of the dirt rather than dig a rut in the ground. Unfortunately that's exactly what I didn't like about them. I love the footprint but it always felt like a worn out tire that just could grip.

I've toyed with the idea of the "sticky" version of the Golden Tyre g216. Or even a hybrid trials/knobby variation of some sort.

I prefer to ride nasty single track. The kind that is shale/loose rock over loose dirt. Do I assume that means I need a tire for 'hard' conditions? I'd rather have traction than tread life anyday.

My question is what are people replacing these big tires with? I'd love something in the same size but with standard size knobbies that will dig up the dirt.

Tonkaman

I do want more big balloons just without being FIM compliant so they are more aggressive. I'm not sure what my options are yet

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I enjoyed the rear tire on that bike. I felt like it was very stable. However, it was prone to hydro plane very easy..

I don't have a solution for your tire conundrum, but when you figure it out, I am ready to ride!

rholbrook

I like my Mountain MotoZ hybrid. Its bullet proof. Ran it 15 miles on a flat and 35 miles on a flat. Its almost 2 yrs old and still has tons of tread left. I will probably replace it this winter when I go through my motor and suspension.

Caleb

I've heard nothing but positive about the Golden Tyres. If they have what you want I'd go that route.

Tonkaman

I meant, why do you want a big balloon size?
Seems like there's no particular advantage.

First of all, because it looks bad ass! Mostly because I like how much contact area I have and the big sidewall means I can run lower psi. There is a reason the enduro bikes run them.

I enjoyed the rear tire on that bike. I felt like it was very stable. However, it was prone to hydro plane very easy..

I don't have a solution for your tire conundrum, but when you figure it out, I am ready to ride!

Very well said. Stable but definitely feels like hydro planing on anything soft

I like my Mountain MotoZ hybrid. Its bullet proof. Ran it 15 miles on a flat and 35 miles on a flat. Its almost 2 yrs old and still has tons of tread left. I will probably replace it this winter when I go through my motor and suspension.

I've seriously considered that tire, especially after talking to you about it earlier this year. My hesitation is abandoning a knobby again. Last time I tried a trials tire is was great uphill and downright scary downhill.

I've heard nothing but positive about the Golden Tyres. If they have what you want I'd go that route.

The Goldentyre gt216 is what came on my bike. I think it would be awesome if the knobs weren't so short. Being FIM regulated means they can only be 13mm tall. (Compare that to a maxis desert IT at 18mm tall or 40% deeper tread)

Vonski

nothing to see here...

I rode a Husky 300 last month with a gummy rear (knobby pattern) @ Woodland and the traction was unreal. Helping out was a bib mousse inside with 15 evenly spaced 1/2" holes bored through it side to side to reduce the simulated pressure. Regardless of running a tube or bib, that tire itself is way impressive. For what its worth, I recently took a position at RMATV and we've got a guy working on picking up the GoldenTyre line right now. I'll give an update asap...

Tonkaman

I think I'd like to give them a try as well. Was it the gt216x or the 523kx? The 533kx really interests me because it's not FIM approved so it gets tall knobbies.

How long do you think till you get something set up?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I rode a Husky 300 last month with a gummy rear (knobby pattern) @ Woodland and the traction was unreal. Helping out was a bib mousse inside with 15 evenly spaced 1/2" holes bored through it side to side to reduce the simulated pressure. Regardless of running a tube or bib, that tire itself is way impressive. For what its worth, I recently took a position at RMATV and we've got a guy working on picking up the GoldenTyre line right now. I'll give an update asap...

What are you doing at RMATV?

Cascadia

Undecided
Let's talk about how bad tubes suck. I've had 5 flats my last 5 rides. All different tubes. And I got 2 front flats with a tubliss and a rear flat with a tubliss. Back to bibs.

Tonkaman

Let's talk about how bad tubes suck. I've had 5 flats my last 5 rides. All different tubes. And I got 2 front flats with a tubliss and a rear flat with a tubliss. Back to bibs.

I was really thinking of switching to tubliss this go round. Can you tell me what causes a flat with tubeless?

Cascadia

Undecided
Puncture the actual tire or not a perfect seal on the bead. Not sure what caused mine. It was during a race.

Last edited: