Repairing an RCI fuel cell?

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I have a RCI aluminum fuel cell, I tipped my rig in its side (not harshly) and the seam cracked about 4" straight down the weld.

Has anyone repaired one before? Would anyone know where I could get it repaired? I am unable to weld aluminum but would love to fix the tank, this was its third or fourth use.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
They are garbage. Too thin. I went through two that had the same problem. The only way I've seen them last is to weld AL angle on every corner and build an angle iron box to support every corner.

gorillaxj

I can but I'm busy for about 2 weeks. If you don't find someone before then let me know

If you could that would be awesome. PM me some details on what you want for fixing it and when would work, I'll pull it out this weekend.

Here is a picture of the failed weld.
image_zps4pokdult.jpeg

Last edited:

gorillaxj

They are garbage. Too thin. I went through two that had the same problem. The only way I've seen them last is to weld AL angle on every corner and build an angle iron box to support every corner.

Interesting, I have read about it but I know of 3-4 people who have ran the same cell and no issues and figured I shouldn't either. Even have it mounted the same as there's with the Artec mounts... Just want it fixed as I am trying to make it to the Trail Hero Event and won't be able to buy and setup a new cell and mount it by then.

But I am definitely thinking a custom cell with thicker walls to fit my current mount, and pickups ect... Or just to a plastic cell when I am able to redue it.

Pretty disappointed. :/

gorillaxj

If anyone else is able and willing let me know. I am willing to pay for the trouble.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
RCI warranties there cells I just sent mine back about 2 weeks ago they reweld them 100% not just the cracked part. Talking to the guy on the phone they realize there were some issues with there welding process and have since remedied the issue. We will see how long it lasts now.....

Call RCI and make them fix it.

gorillaxj

RCI warranties there cells I just sent mine back about 2 weeks ago they reweld them 100% not just the cracked part. Talking to the guy on the phone they realize there were some issues with there welding process and have since remedied the issue. We will see how long it lasts now.....

Call RCI and make them fix it.

That's cool, i was thinking of calling them but I didn't know if I could find a recept or any of that info. I finally found some time and dug it up so I have the info if needed. I'll have to do that. I have been searching on there site and haven't found any "warranty" information. I'll just give them a call tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Be careful welding it. Gas tanks explode all the time and kill the welder, even after thoroughly washing them out.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I've still heard stories of stuff going wrong. It can be quite difficult to properly purge a large open volume like a gas tank due to swirling currents inside which can prevent it from ever purging.
When filling them with water you still have to keep water away from the back side of the weld (especially if its aluminum and you're tigging it), or steam is going to absolutely destroy your argon coverage and weld puddle.
I don't weld on used fuel tanks, it's not worth the few bucks. It only takes a few drops worth of vapor to explode.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I can give you the info of my neighbor if you like. He's a welder that fixes Aluminum tanker trucks for a living and I'm sure he'd do it right, but I personally wouldn't do it. I know a few friends that have had their RCI tanks fail. RCI did warranty them, but it's not as much an issue of poor MFG as the material is too thin. They're designed for drag/ street cars were fuel slosh isn't as big of an issue.

15 gallons x 6.3lbs/gallon = 94.5lbs. Throw 94lbs against thin gauge aluminum and it's going to stress crack. That's why my next one got built out of 1/8".