South-West Utah Alstrom Point, Left Hand Collett, HITR Road - Oct 6th thru 9th

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hey ya'all.... I've been working on planning a trip to Alstrom Point with Roktaxi (Marty). Marty knows Southern Utah very well, he has done a LOT of traveling over the years and knows some great sights. We're opening this up to anyone, but want to keep the group small... no more than 4 to 5 vehicles total, so we have room for 2 to 3 more.

Anyhow, at this point the dates are set... Oct 6th thru 9th.

Our plan is to leave Colorado on Thursday morning, Oct 6th and end up in Big Water, Utah that evening. On the morning of the 7th we'll head in to Alstrom Point and camp there for the night. On the 8th we'll head North up to Left Hand Collett and probably camp somewhere on the Hole in the Rock road. On the 9th we'll make our way back home, probably by way of dirt roads as far as we can.

If you want to come, you'll need a reliable and capable vehicle, food & drink and camping gear. Must be self-sufficient! It will probably be long days on the trail, we're planning on doing some hiking & exploring, possibly some slot canyons. I'm not sure how kid-friendly the trip will be, so grain of salt & all. My thought was to meet up on the night of the 6th in Big Water for anyone coming from the North.

Anyhow, anyone interested in joining? Should be a great time!

Tonkaman

I've wanted to explore those areas for a long time. This lands on the same dates as a Wasatch Cruisers Moab trip I was hoping to go on as well...

Do you think my stock height Tacoma could handle it?

Greg

Admin
I've wanted to explore those areas for a long time. This lands on the same dates as a Wasatch Cruisers Moab trip I was hoping to go on as well...

Do you think my stock height Tacoma could handle it?

Hopefully you can make it Derek!

You should be fine in a stock height 4x4, the only place that has the possibility of being somewhat difficult would be Left Hand Collett Canyon, depending on what the weather has done to the trail recently. Usually it's well maintained, but I understand it can wash out. I think otherwise it will be dirt roads everywhere else.

boogie_4wheel

Funny, I was just talking to a good friend of mine about Left Hand Collet. We both grew up in Page and he did the road a few years ago in a GMC truck on 35". He said it was terrible.
I've been to Ramona/Alstrom countless times and the road has been high speed as well as taking a full day because of washout damage.
I hope the weather holds good for you all, and that LHC isn't near as bad as it has been described to me!

Better do a trip report!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I wish! I love that area and its been too long since I have been all the way out to the point. Have a fun trip and please post a report!

Greg

Admin
No chance for me making it, but it sure sounds like a fun trip!

- DAA

Too bad, would be fun to share the trail with you again Dave!

:thumbs: Do it!!

Do eeet. I dunno about this Greg guy, but Marty's great company on the trail.

I work. :(

I heard on the interweb that Greg is a JERK!!

sounds like a great trip. Alstrom is one of my favorite spots! been out there a handful of times, but its been a few years since my last visit

It'll be my first time there, has been on my list for a long time!

Funny, I was just talking to a good friend of mine about Left Hand Collet. We both grew up in Page and he did the road a few years ago in a GMC truck on 35". He said it was terrible.
I've been to Ramona/Alstrom countless times and the road has been high speed as well as taking a full day because of washout damage.
I hope the weather holds good for you all, and that LHC isn't near as bad as it has been described to me!

Better do a trip report!

:cool:

Oh, there will be a trip report!

I wish! I love that area and its been too long since I have been all the way out to the point. Have a fun trip and please post a report!

Will do, I'm looking forward to exploring down that way! And yes, a proper trip report is a given! ;)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Let me hit the boss man up and see if I can get the days off, already a couple people off on those days

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That sounds fun!

Fwiw that area got nailed earlier this week and several of those routes are listed as "likely impassable" and when LH Collet had washed before, it takes a D9 to fix :D

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Let me hit the boss man up and see if I can get the days off, already a couple people off on those days

Sounds good Josh, keep me posted!

That sounds fun!

Fwiw that area got nailed earlier this week and several of those routes are listed as "likely I passable" and when LH Collet had washed before, it takes a D9 to fix :D

Yeah, we've been watching the road conditions... hope it's all passable by the 7th-8th! Based on the latest report it looks driveable, but the storm that rolled in yesterday may have changed all that!

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/b...at/2016-08-24_GSENM-Road-Condition-Report.pdf

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The do fix the road up quite regularly because it is an important link. Let us know what you hear from the BLM Marty. That is a claimed county road so it might actually be the county who runs a grader up it?