.204 AR15 build "Emma"

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I've never been a huge auto rifle fan but I have built several high end ARs over the years, usually just to sell them off because I get board with them. Years ago I built a .204 off of a Remington 700 action, it was a great rifle and I really enjoyed it. It had an 8oz timney tactical trigger and a B&C stock with 10 round mag but I got a hair up my ass and decided I wanted to build a .204 AR and sold it. Before I had the chance to build the AR I was laid off and didn't have the funds to do it.

Last month I got the auto itch again and grabbed a Troy Carbine for fun I made a few changes to it like a Geissele trigger and a Vortex sight and after a couple hundred rounds it all came back to me... Time to build a .204 again.

I started with a shilen .204 24" heavy barrel 1-9 twist, .920" at the muzzle. I acquired an LAR OPS 4 side charge upper and adjustable gas block, and topped it off with a 15" Faxon hand guard. For the lower I started of with an Anderson lower and a Geissele SD-E trigger, a AR -Stoner lower parts kit, Hogue hand grip, JP enterprises buffer assy and a Magpul PRS stock. For optics I went with a Vortex Viper HS -T 6-24x50 mrad scope on a Burris P.E.P.R mount.

I spent a few weeks gathering and building the rifle and due to the rain I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, I plan on sighting it in this week and taking it out Coyote hunting this next weekend. Hopefully I can hold on to this one for a while.

IMG_8853.JPG
IMG_8854.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
A couple little videos of the wife a and boy shooting an apple with Emma, one is in slow mo but I love the .204 for the speed... 32 grain smoking at 4287 fps on factory ammo.

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
ok, this is the best I can do for vids, I tried posting from my Iphone with no luck and then from the computer and no luck again. I put them on Photobucket and now they are not slow mo....

[video]http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/findingutah1/media/AR-15/IMG_8862_zps2bhue0sk.mp4.html[/video]

[video]http://vid1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/findingutah1/AR-15/IMG_8863_zpstuird5hn.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

Caleb

Cool build, I like the "odd ball" builds. Maybe non-standard is a better term? I'm about to start a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 build.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
We finally got out and put some distance between the muzzle and the target this weekend, I have knowledge of some targets in the canyon that someone set up years ago at 300,500 and 700 yards. I verified the zero and ran some numbers really quick and within a couple shots was on the 700 yard 8" plate. I never even considered this gun for that long of a shot, and at that distance it is still carrying 327 fp of energy so pretty effective on a coyote at that distance (not that I would go that direction). I am really happy with this build, once I start shooting it I have a hard time stopping. I forget about what else I have with me and just shoot it.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/scott.strong.127201/videos/vb.1608289872/10209367973468817/?type=3&theater[/video]

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
'Emma got a new look. I got a deal on a Flat Dark Earth Magpul PRS stock on Black Friday, so I had to paint the gun to match. The match is not perfect but it looks pretty good, it is Cerakote "Magpul FDE" I hear that Magpuls colors vary a little bit. The Black PRS stock will find a new home on my Ruger Precision Rifle. Maybe one day I will get a hair and tear down the stock to paint it for a perfect match. This is my first gun with Cerakote, it is definitely a step up from Duracoat.

Emma.png

Last edited: