Is a KTM 300XC W For Me?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So, I LOVE riding the single tracks around the state, but my WR450 is really big and heavy when I get into technical stuff. I too am a big guy, 6'4" and lets just say over 260lbs. After riding with Von on the AF single last year I have been eyeballing a 300. I'm the kind of rider that loves power, the 450 give me what I need when I need it. I'm looking at the 300 because of the 220lbs weight the new 2017 6 days offers and the low grunt this bike has.

My only hesitation is my size, do you think the 300 is too small of a bike for a big, and old, guy like me?

Thanks for your input.

rholbrook

I got rid if my WR450 a couple of years ago and have never looked back. I'm around you're same size +_ 5 lbs and I love my 300. This last weekend I did ride a new 450XC and absolutely loved it. It didn't feel big and bulky at all. I loved the power, enough to where it's got me thinking about that XC. I will own another 450 at some point because I want to ride Baja

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The 300 is a great all around bike. It will not have any less snap than a WR450, but it may not lug quite as well. It will still do incredibly well in tight, slow and technical, but you will have to get used to how the power is delivered.My .02 opinion is hat the 300 is the best all around bike you can buy.

Tonkaman

I had the same hesitation last year when I was in the market for a new bike. Long story short I went with a 300 (Beta Xtrainer) and haven't had any regrets. It takes a while to get used to lofting the front end on a 2 stroke, but otherwise plenty of power.

I don't think I've heard one person who switched to a 300 2 stroke have any regrets.

....besides Jeeper....
....but that's another story....

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I had the same hesitation last year when I was in the market for a new bike. Long story short I went with a 300 (Beta Xtrainer) and haven't had any regrets. It takes a while to get used to lofting the front end on a 2 stroke, but otherwise plenty of power.

I don't think I've heard one person who switched to a 300 2 stroke have any regrets.

....besides Jeeper....
....but that's another story....

Why does it always seem that the name Jeeper and the term ......but that's another story seem to go hand in hand? :D

Sorry.....I couldn't resist.

D

Deleted member 12904

Why does it always seem that the name Jeeper and the term ......but that's another story seem to go hand in hand? :D

Sorry.....I couldn't resist.

As it turns out the cheapest things don't always end up being the best deal. but he does end up with lots of good deals.

Also a member of the 300 club here and love mine as well.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It all boils down to personal preference. There are people that will not do a 2t. I have done them all and the power, weight and maintenance make it the best all around bike for me. The only bike I have ever owned that is good in the tight technical, the fast desert and I can still pound laps in the moto-x track is the 300.

I am partial to the XC since I don't care for a super low 1st gear.

You should spend some time in Russ's 300

Last edited:

rholbrook

It all boils down to personal preference. There are people that will not do a 2t. I have done them all and the power, weight and maintenance make it the best all around bike for me. The only bike I have ever owned that is good in the tight technical, the fast desert and I can still pound laps in the moto-x track is the 300.

I am partial to the XC since I don't care for a super low 1st gear.

You should spend some time in Russ's 300

Sure, whore out my 300. Actually, lets go for a ride and I will ride your WR to remind me why I dont ride one anymore and you can ride my 300. Better yet, I will ride my son Harrison's KTM200 which is a riot on single track. When do you want to ride? Friday?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Sure, whore out my 300. Actually, lets go for a ride and I will ride your WR to remind me why I dont ride one anymore and you can ride my 300. Better yet, I will ride my son Harrison's KTM200 which is a riot on single track. When do you want to ride? Friday?

Wow, that is really nice of you to offer. Daughters b day this weekend and by next I will probably have one[emoji41]