Trailer battery

RogueJeepr

Here!
For a long time I've been wanting to put electrical in our teardrop trailer. Just a few Lil lights and fan in the roof vent but.......... I dont see the need to have a huge heavy battery on the tongue.
What are your thoughts on running a small ATV battery to save weight ???

Planning one of many winter projects.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't think an ATV battery will give you the longevity you want. I have always been let down by how quickly they drain with just atv lights on.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I have a small gel-cell (ATVish) battery in my RZR trailer to run a couple lights. It does it fine. But, even the smallest fan will kill a battery in a hurry. If you're dead set on the fan, you'd better plan on a larger battery.

Wire the tow vehicle to charge it while you're driving, and you'll be set.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I guess that it would depend on the lights and fan. find what your going to use, figure out loads and then size the battery, I would recommend a small solar panel in conjunction to keep things topped off.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
You could always look at an oddesy battery. I run the 925 in both my rzr and YXZ as secondary batteries and they hold well with a stereo, light bars whips ect. Keep in mind that if you kill a regular battery 2 or more times it may not recover or it may only partially recover.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the weight.

KWight

I went from a size 24 to a size 27 this past year. I am not sure how much difference it makes, but I am hopeful that the bigger battery allows more time with my trailer.

Can anyone tell me how I can figure out if my truck with charge my trailer battery while I am traveling?

Caleb

I think Shawn nailed it. Regular batteries aren't made to be discharged, which is what happens, no matter how hard you try, with trailer batteries. Get a deep cycle, throw a charge wire to the tow vehicle on and if you stay put for a little while, throw a solar panel on and you'll be golden.

I went from a size 24 to a size 27 this past year. I am not sure how much difference it makes, but I am hopeful that the bigger battery allows more time with my trailer.

Can anyone tell me how I can figure out if my truck with charge my trailer battery while I am traveling?

Assuming a 7-way plug, just get a test light or meter and check for voltage on the top right blade of the plug on your truck with the key on:

7-Plug-Trailer-Wiring-Diagram-Do-You-Know-What-The-ACV-Are-At-The-Coil-Cut-Out-A-Bunch-Of-Wires-.gif

RogueJeepr

Here!
I was also looking at what a Honda sized battery would do ?Well, it was just an idea. Guess I'll go with a bigger battery .

rholbrook

I think Shawn nailed it. Regular batteries aren't made to be discharged, which is what happens, no matter how hard you try, with trailer batteries. Get a deep cycle, throw a charge wire to the tow vehicle on and if you stay put for a little while, throw a solar panel on and you'll be golden.

Caleb is 100% right here, deep cycle boat type battery. Run LEDs and good luck finding a fan that doesn't use much power. At the end of the day, the weight of the battery will not make any difference.