Xj upper control arm bushings

RogueJeepr

Here!
Ive been looking into what it takes to put my upper control arms on and I'll need the bushings on the axle end replaced. Should I attempt this myself or have a shop do it (faster probably) ????
Recommendations.

Also read that WJ bushings are better. T/F ?

Sent from my Z740 using Tapatalk

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I couldn't tell you if the bushings themselves are the same physical size, but pressing control arm bushings is a pain because you need to just catch the edge of the bushing.
The best way I've found to get the stock bushings out is to burn them out with a torch then cut the outer ring with a cold chisel.
It's messy but hammering the stock bushing out is basically impossible.

I know that WJ bushings are softer on the lowers and have windows (holes) in them to reduce NVH, so you could surmise that the uppers will have a softer durometer and likely won't last as long as the stockers.

DAA

Guessing they are probably about the same if not exactly the same as on TJ's. I replace mine with Johnny Joints, but getting the old bushings out, I used a chisel to fold in the shell a bit around the edges, then got a length of 1" square tube lined up to catch that folded in shell and hit it with a BFH and had it out pretty quick.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Guessing they are probably about the same if not exactly the same as on TJ's. I replace mine with Johnny Joints, but getting the old bushings out, I used a chisel to fold in the shell a bit around the edges, then got a length of 1" square tube lined up to catch that folded in shell and hit it with a BFH and had it out pretty quick.

- DAA

This for us torch challenged folk

thenag

Is it anything like a leaf spring bushing, just drill the rubber until you can't drill anymore then remove the pieces?

Nathan

RogueJeepr

Here!
I'll stick with the xj bushings then, if the WJs are softer.
Im gonna talk to my mechanic and see if he can get it done faster for a reasonable price. If not I'll probably do it myself.

What's it like to get the new ones in (tool I need, etc) ?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Just a thought, but when you're considering the WJ bushings, remember that WJs have death wobble issues worse than any other model of Jeep. I don't know if the bushings are to blame, but...:hickey:

I have had decent luck getting bushings out using a rented ball joint press. With the BJ press though, you need to make sure you have properly sized sleeves. If that isn't an option or doesn't work, I prefer the method that DAA mentioned, because torching bushings is a horribly disgusting endeavor.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I drilled the rubber out of mine completely then folded the side in and used a air hammer to push it out and still had troubles...

RogueJeepr

Here!

- DAA
How long do the Johnny joints last as far as reliability. Any squeaks or noises.??? Also how much $$$

Haven't had much luck on a quote.
My mech never called me back and lots of places seem to shut down for lunch, even 4wp never answered the phone.

Oh well I got plenty of time before the project begins.

DAA

How long do the Johnny joints last as far as reliability. Any squeaks or noises.??? Also how much $$$

I have JJ's on all 16 ends of my CA's. They have about 75K miles on them now (running 35's). Never any problems. I grease them every time I change the oil, which is every 4K. No squeaks, no clunks, no pops, no nothing. I have nothing but good things to say about Johnny Joints.

This is the kit I used for the axle end of the front uppers: Currie Front Upper JJ Kit. Looks like $205 direct from Currie.

- DAA

thenag

Johnny Joints work and they last. They are rebuildable.

They are expensive.

They are about $40 each, so keep that in mind when looking at kits, arms etc, My Clayton Long arm Kit has 14 Johnny Joints, so that is about $800 in JJ.

Nathan

RogueJeepr

Here!
So those get pressed in like stock bushings with a ball joint press (and their Lil tool) ?

Edit :::::
Nevermind. I found a vid installing those.

Last edited: