Gear swap needed

NYCEGUY01

Whats the going rate and who do you guys trust to do a gear swap.
I already have the gears and install kit.
Not sure I want to mess with it myself..Really dont want to go buy a bunch of tools for a 1 time thing most likely.

It will be in the rear of my 2002 Silverado.

Im in Willard so further up north may be easier.

I called the Ogden Six States and he told me he's a month out due to hunting and the backlog that caused. I didnt even get a price.

S-10Dave

I have the tools, but you may be money ahead to do an upgrade to a beefier assembly that already has the ratio you want. If you have a K1500, for example, probably with 3.42:1 gears, then it is the weak 8.62" 10-bolt, and not worth wasting money on, especially since the same money will get you a good used 14-bolt with either 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 gears already in. The semi-float 14-bolt 9.5" was offered with 6-lug shafts, but is nowhere near as unbreakable as the full-float 10.5" 14-bolt, which is 8-lug only, but gives you peace of mind you can't know without swapping one. BTDT. Plus the 10.5 uses a short pinion, so you can keep your existing driveshaft with just a conversion u-joint. Just be sure the 10.5 has the 1350 yoke, not the 1410 yoke. There's no conversion joint to a 1410, so you would have to change the pinion yoke. Also, the axle upgrade brings a brake upgrade.
I did the 8.6 to 10.5 swap a few years ago, when i had an 06 GMC C1500.
Used axles go for around 150, and both 3.73 and 4.10 both can be found in both 9.5s and 10.5s. Back in 90-93, the 9.5 was used in the 454SS, so that was 5-lug, and rumor has it that some vans used the exact same assembly, but with 3.42 gears.

NYCEGUY01

Yep. Already have the gears ans master install kit here.

I did think about the SF 14 bolt swap but for the intended use of this truck the 10 bolt should be fine.

Either way I would have needed to re gear as finding another axle with 4.88's wouldnt be easy and thats what I need.

Im still debating on just doing them myself, I just havent ever tackled a set. The only tool Im lacking is an in/lb torque wrench and they look to be pretty cheap.

Either way this weekend Im gonna try and get it up on the new tires.

Seven

I had all-pro on 1900 west there east of Ogden do some several years ago.. They were good priced and I was happy. It did save me money by just dropping off the axle.

NYCEGUY01

I actually already setup an appointment to have Rob at All Pro in Ogden do them.
Im heading to the dunes on Thur-Sun and Monday morning its getting the 4.88's installed...
Should be a little more fun to drive after that...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I actually already setup an appointment to have Rob at All Pro in Ogden do them.
Im heading to the dunes on Thur-Sun and Monday morning its getting the 4.88's installed...
Should be a little more fun to drive after that...

Just in case you aren't aware, or the shop doesn't mention it... Don't tow anything with those fresh gears. Give them several good heat cycles before you do.