South-East Utah Dollhouse/Powell/Moab trip, 11-5 - 11-8

FastGas

I'm headed down to the Hanksville area the weekend of 11-5 to inspect some of my father's property and I'd like to check out the Flint trail/dollhouse area while I'm there. I also intend to swing through Hite/Lake Powell and Moab on the loop home. Any tips, advice, other must-do trails along the way, or any other folks going to be in the area?
WhPGSvj.png

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm interested, are you planning to camp at Doll House or inside the NP? Asking because a permit will be required. That seems like a lot to see in 3 days, but I could be wrong.

FastGas

Planning to camp at dollhouse. I'm planning on leaving 11-4 after work and spend the night at a hotel in Green River, then head to DH the next morning. I need to be back in SLC on the 11th, so I have plenty of buffer to take more time if I need to.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I might be able to join you for the Dollhouse leg. Are you planning to burn any boot leather in there, or do you intend to stay vehicular?

My two cents, I'd prioritize a hike or two over all that pavement time around to Moab.

FastGas

I might be able to join you for the Dollhouse leg. Are you planning to burn any boot leather in there, or do you intend to stay vehicular?

My two cents, I'd prioritize a hike or two over all that pavement time around to Moab.

I'm planning on a few hikes and photo ops, do you have any recommendations? I'm perfectly OK with ignoring Moab altogether if you guys think there's enough to see and do without heading east.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'm planning on a few hikes and photo ops, do you have any recommendations?

I don't, but I've never been into Dollhouse and I'd love to see more than just from a truck window.

Lemme see what's on the wife's agenda that weekend and whether I'm required to participate.

FastGas

I don't, but I've never been into Dollhouse and I'd love to see more than just from a truck window.

Lemme see what's on the wife's agenda that weekend and whether I'm required to participate.

Sounds good. I'm excited to try out my new ARB fridge freezer, awning room, solar panels, and misc other junk
Bdb8ow3.jpg

Greg

Admin
I could meet up with you the morning you leave from Green River (Saturday morning), join you for the Doll House and the Maze portions for 2 nights.

I just looked at the online reservations, they're filling up fast for the days you're planning. Want me to reserve them?

FastGas

Please do! What is the web address for reservations/rules/etc? My father's property is right at the feet of the henry mountain. I'm looking for trails or routes to make a side trip in lieu of Moab.

FastGas

OK, done!!

Kevin, let us know if you can make it! If not, I'd like to try fill that 3rd spot.

Wonderful, thank you. I'm staying at the Super 8 in Green River. I was planning on a light breakfast the morning of the 5th, loading up on firewood/fuel/water, and being on the road before 10.

Greg

Admin
Wow, go Greg! I'm in.

Just to clarify, we're meeting in Green River Saturday morning and spending Saturday and Sunday night in the Maze?

:thumbs:

I believe that's the plan, I'm planning on being in Green River by 9 AM on Saturday. I reserved Dollhouse 1 on Saturday, and Maze Overlook 2 on Sunday night.

Where do you guys want to meet up? I would suggest the Chevron on the West end of town.

Greg

Admin
FYI, Rules and Regulations in the park... the big one we need to be concerned with is the fires. We can have a charcoal fire, using a fire pan. Not a ton of fun, but that's what we're limited to.

General Regulations

Permits are required for all overnight trips in the backcountry. Permits are also required for day-use trips on White Rim, Elephant Hill, Lavender Canyon, and Salt Creek / Horse Canyon roads.
Permits are valid only for the dates, areas and number of people listed.
All vehicles, motorcycles and bikes must remain on designated roads. Roads may be deemed impassable and temporarily closed for multiple reasons. ATVs/OHVs are not allowed.
Wood campfires are not allowed. Cooking with a charcoal fire in a firepan is allowed at vehicle campsites. All charcoal residue must be packed out.
All garbage must be removed from the backcountry, including toilet paper.
Food must be stored securely to prevent animals from gaining access to it.
All camping activities must remain within campsite boundaries at designated sites. Camps in at-large zones must be one mile from a road and in low-impact areas like slickrock.
Camping within 300 feet of an archaeological site, historic site or water source is not allowed.
All natural objects and cultural artifacts are protected and must be left where they are found. Touching rock art and drawing graffiti is not allowed.
Pets, discharging firearms, hunting and feeding wildlife are prohibited.
Caching food, water or supplies is allowed with written notification of the district ranger. No damage to resources may occur and all items must be removed.
Swimming or bathing is only allowed in the Green and Colorado rivers.

You guys have any hikes in mind yet? I'm game for a little hiking, my knee was giving me some trouble last time I was out climbing up & down rocks, so I'll have to watch what I do.

FastGas

FYI, Rules and Regulations in the park... the big one we need to be concerned with is the fires. We can have a charcoal fire, using a fire pan. Not a ton of fun, but that's what we're limited to.

You guys have any hikes in mind yet? I'm game for a little hiking, my knee was giving me some trouble last time I was out climbing up & down rocks, so I'll have to watch what I do.

i guess I will bring extra propane for my Mr. Heater if wood fires are forbidden. Although, with 30lbs of charcoal we could make quite the roasting pit.....