Anyone here spent much time on a KX 450?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Kind of a long story, but I've been looking for a 94 or newer KX 250 (two stroke) for awhile now. I'd like to find a big pile of crap for not much money and spend the winter going through it.. making it better than new and setting it up for trail use. I'm dying to get another woods/single track bike! That said I'm not having much luck even the ones that have been beat to death seem to be in the $1500+ dollar range :-\

As I've been looking around I'm seeing a lot of 06-08 (carbed) KX450F's for what seems like not much money. What's the story on these? My brother had a 2008 for a few years that he bought new and while I only spent an hour or two on it I really-really liked the bike. I know the 06's had a four speed gearbox which might be kinda lame for what I'm doing...

As for reliability how do the KX 450's compare to say the Yamaha YZ/WR450? I'm thinking mostly single track, some desert and occasional dunes trips. I know the limitations and challenges of turning an MX bike into a trail bike but I'm ok with that.

Andrew

rholbrook

I have your KX250 smoker. Maybe 20-30 hours on it. It is brand new. Come see it. Harrison took it to the dunes today. No scratches on original plastics before he left.

As per your question on the KX450. I dont know how you could go wrong with a bike that has been at the top of all the dirt mags lists in the shootouts.

kx 1.jpgkx 2.jpgkx 3.jpg

D

Deleted member 12904

My cousin has been riding his 07 kx450 since new and it's been great. I jump on it a fair amount and love the power they make.

djgardner

I've got about 30 hours on my KX450...but its a '15, so significantly different from what you are looking at.

So far I've been impressed with the bike...I've had no issues with it (outside of some overheating issues...right Tyson? lol...but I've got a high comp rad cap coming from Rocky Mountain that should fix that issue), and I REALLY like the bike. Even the air forks are sweet and work really well! Makes great usable power...felt comfortable right away...its stable and planted feeling on the trail...overall just a great motorcycle.

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I've had a few KX450's, from 2009 to now they have been fuel injected, in 2013 they went air fork, my favorite kx450's are from 09-2012 fuel injected and sprung. the problem I see with what your asking is that you want to keep it under $2000, a 450 4t in that price range likely has a ton of hours and could cost much more when its time to rebuild, versus a 2 stroke that you can rebuild cheap.

You don't have to have fuel injection, but once you've rode a bike with it, its hard to go back.

My last bike was a 2015, I sold it and Im looking for a 2011-2012 with low hours, problem is they want as much for them as the 2015's, I just couldn't stand the air forks and my 2015 had lots of hours.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
as far as reliability, the kx450 has been as reliable as anything I've ever had and Ive owned 19 bikes since I started rideing, I also had an 2004 KX500 that never broke down, I probably put 1000 hours on it without a single issue. I've never had any issues on my kx big bikes other than regular wear and tear, and minimal issues with my boys smaller kx's

djgardner

I've had a few KX450's, from 2009 to now they have been fuel injected, in 2013 they went air fork, my favorite kx450's are from 09-2012 fuel injected and sprung. the problem I see with what your asking is that you want to keep it under $2000, a 450 4t in that price range likely has a ton of hours and could cost much more when its time to rebuild, versus a 2 stroke that you can rebuild cheap.

You don't have to have fuel injection, but once you've rode a bike with it, its hard to go back.

My last bike was a 2015, I sold it and Im looking for a 2011-2012 with low hours, problem is they want as much for them as the 2015's, I just couldn't stand the air forks and my 2015 had lots of hours.

You don't like the air forks on your '15? I love mine...What were your main complaints?

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
You don't like the air forks on your '15? I love mine...What were your main complaints?

of all the people I have talked to that have air forks, it seems like the guys that like them are around the 170-180 lb guys, they have less issues, more research is out there as to where to benchmark. I'm 240 lbs and 6'6 which adds leverage and I have a hard time getting it set up to work in all area's and when I do get it right it seems to change after hours of riding/racing. I can set it up so it will handle whoops better than any bike I have ever rode, then its almost un-rideable in the chop, make it rideable in the chop and bottom out in the washes or jumps . I'm sure there is a perfect setting for me, but with the 420,000 options between air pressures and oil levels and valving, Im all used up trying to get it right. I know how to set up a 2011 perfect for me, and its cheap and easy. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the airforks other than its to much tuning if your not in there target weight, I would imagine a lighter rider would have as much issue.

djgardner

of all the people I have talked to that have air forks, it seems like the guys that like them are around the 170-180 lb guys, they have less issues, more research is out there as to where to benchmark. I'm 240 lbs and 6'6 which adds leverage and I have a hard time getting it set up to work in all area's and when I do get it right it seems to change after hours of riding/racing. I can set it up so it will handle whoops better than any bike I have ever rode, then its almost un-rideable in the chop, make it rideable in the chop and bottom out in the washes or jumps . I'm sure there is a perfect setting for me, but with the 420,000 options between air pressures and oil levels and valving, Im all used up trying to get it right. I know how to set up a 2011 perfect for me, and its cheap and easy. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the airforks other than its to much tuning if your not in there target weight, I would imagine a lighter rider would have as much issue.

That is all logical. And I'm about 175 lbs...so I may lend credibility to your theory:

I really like mine everywhere. TBT in Arizona revalved mine and set me up with the air pressures...and they are probably my favorite forks I've ever had.