General Tech Making a gas tank skid for a 4x4 van, how thick?

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
My tank is very vulnerable, being in the middle of the van, and slightly below the frame in some places. It's about 52" long, and 24" wide. Since this isn't a rock bashing vehicle, but more of a backcountry sleeper/gear hauler/family trip vehicle, I am planning to get some sheet metal that's relatively thin, I think. And since it's a huge piece of steel, I hope it can be thin enough that it's not incredibly heavy. Any recommendations as to thickness? I have some 1/8 sheet in my scrap pile, but it's fairly heavy I think, for this use. I am mostly guarding against pokes, scrapes. I have a few scrapes in the tank already, and I don't even notice when it happens. I don't think I will be bashing it on rocks, or setting it down on the tank much, or at all.

I have been with a friend when he punctured his tank, and it wasn't a good day for him. I also have put a decent sized dent in a section of the frame right next to the tank on mine, so I know it's a possibility. My van doesn't have excellent ground clearance, I would say it's more like an average stock SUV, even though I have lifted it about two inches.

I was planning to wrap up on the frame on one side, and a small lip , or weld something on the other long side and two shorter sides. Since I don't have a sheet metal brake, I was planning to either pay a shop to put the one bend in, or perhaps weld that long side also.

Should I put something between the tank and the skid? The tank is plastic, but I remember my Jeeps always had a bit of plastic rubbery something on theirs.

Thoughts, recommendations?

20160925_145115.jpg

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
1/8" is excessive for your use, but it would work. I'd do .093" probably. Maybe more important than the thickness is how it's built. Bends and welded corners add tons of rigidity, flat sections might bend easily but offer scrape resistance.
You won't need anything between the tank and the skid since the tank is held up by straps already, the skid doesn't even have to touch the tank. On my jeep I used a 'welcome mat' that was oddly the exact right size and shape, lol

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'd use the 1/8" if you already own it. A little extra beef won't hurt, and the weight difference will not be noticeable either way.