Need a good set of 2 way radios for less than 150 TYT? BaoFeng? etc.

balfred

I have been looking for a set of two way radios for me an my dad to share when going on adventures but neither one of us want a dedicated radio in the jeeps (yet). So I have been looking for something in the 5-10 watt range that would be quality. I stumbled across these TYT brand radios that seem good but have a low number of reviews. Does anyone have experience with these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMBWQ1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CGOTZ0L1HKR1

Then I saw these Baofengs which get some good reviews but seems like they might not have the same quality standards based on some of the reviews. Anyone have experience with these or the 5 watt models?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2

I just dont know what to look for in these things so its hard to make an educated or somewhat educated decision.

Thanks for any info you guys provide!!!

Bryce

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
321 HAM police!
I'm very happy with my beofeng GT-3TP radios. Watch a bunch of YouTube vids on whichever specific model you buy.

How does the baofeng quality seem?

I would say quality is not quite on par with Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood, but it's pretty good, considering the cost. I haven't had any problems with them - they just feel cheaper and the menus are a little more difficult to navigate. I'm guessing the long term reliability will be lower, but I don't have any evidence to share since I haven't had any problems.

Based on the other discussions, I'll state that I am licensed to use them!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Can I get in trouble for using these radios without a license?

It's illegal to TRANSMIT with them.

Oh shoot, that changes everything!

Officer Bowling, checking in. :p

Seriously, it is extremely easy to get a Technician license. You can use any number of free online study sites, and the test fee is a whole $14. We have a number of kids in the valley that are under 12 years old who have licenses, so I'm not kidding when I say it isn't difficult. Around the corner from me is an 11-year-old girl who recently earned her Amateur Extra, the highest ham radio license there is.

Back to the radios. I have some experience with the cheap Baofengs. Their quality is hit or miss. Some radios hold up well over time; others (like my first one) develop problems and need to be replaced. Getting warranty service is about impossible... but that's fine, since buying a new one barely costs more than shipping your old one in for repair. Just consider them disposable radios.

In case you or anyone else reading this thread wants to use a radio but refuses to get a ham license, here is a summary I wrote a while back for another forum. This is a list of all the common car-to-car radio options, listed in order from shortest to longest range of communication. Many of them require no license, as noted below.

FRS (Family Radio Service) benefits:
1) uses handheld "bubblepack" radios which are tiny, extremely inexpensive, and widely available
2) no license required, so everybody can use one
3) FM operation for clear sound and little interference

FRS drawbacks:
1) limited to .5 watt output, which keeps range extremely short
2) radios must have fixed antennas, also hurting range (especially when transmitting inside a car)
3) only 14 channels available

MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) benefits:
1) no license required, so everybody can use one
2) FM operation for clear sound and little interference
3) 2 watt maximum output provides slightly greater range than FRS
4) external antennas are allowed, potentially increasing range a little further still

MURS drawbacks:
1) range with fixed antenna radios is still very short (especially when transmitting inside a car)
2) radios with removable antennas get pricey
3) only 5 channels available

GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) benefits:
1) FM operation for clear sound and little interference
2) 50 watt maximum output can significantly increase range (but most handhelds only put out 4-5 watts max)
3) can use repeaters to increase range even further

GMRS drawbacks:
1) always requires a license for use (no exam; just a fee)
2) range for typical handhelds ("bubblepack" radios) w/o a repeater isn't much better than MURS
3) repeaters are very scarce (Utah has only 6, for example)
4) high power mobile radios are very expensive ($275+ for just the radio)
5) only 15 channels available (22 total on handheld hybrid FRS/GMRS radios)

CB (Citizen's Band) benefits:
1) affordable; new mobile radio/antenna/cable/mount setup can be had for ~ $75
3) CB radios are very common among Jeepers
4) CB offers better range than all the above options (except a high power mobile GMRS radio)

CB downsides:
1) there are thousands of a**holes out there actively trying to ruin your experience
2) 4 watt maximum legal output limits range, though it beats all above handheld options
3) CB uses scratchy, static-filled AM operation

Ham radio benefits:
1) FAR better range than all the above options (mobile radios usually put out 50 watts or more)
2) low power handheld radios can use upgraded antennas, further increasing their range
3) thanks to repeaters, the range gets even better (especially with linked repeaters)
4) repeaters are very common (at last count, Utah has 129 on 2m and 179 on 70cm)
5) dual band radios offer hundreds of frequencies ("channels") for use
6) ham operators tend to be much better behaved than CB operators
7) mobile ham radio typically uses FM operation for clear sound and little interference

Ham radio drawbacks:
1) you must earn a license by passing a 35-question test
2) moderately expensive; a quality 50w 2m mobile radio/antenna/cable setup runs ~ $225
3) because of #1 and #2, many Jeepers don't have a ham radio

Once you've had a taste of ham radio, you will forever look down on CBs due to their significant shortcomings. But does that mean CBs are entirely worthless? Of course not. If all you want to do is talk to other vehicles in your caravan and you'll always be very close to each other, CBs would be a simple, cheap way to achieve your goals. If you're really thinking you may be in a remote area with no phone service and you might need to make an emergency communication with the outside world, CB will very likely be completely useless in such a situation... and if you're counting on it to save you, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

In case you didn't know, ham radio has an entire culture centered around emergency communication and response. There are a great many hams out there who are eager and willing to assist any sort of distress call they hear. (This is where the whole mantra of "when all other forms of communication fail, there is ham radio" originates.) Be advised that most hams take great pride in their hobby, meaning they also police it. Most legit hams aren't thrilled by people who illegally use these frequencies, to the point that they sometimes track down pirates and turn them over to the authorities.

Anyway, those are some thoughts on the matter.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So knowing that, do you know of any that are good that don't require a license? Do UHF and VHF both require a license?

Yes and no.

You basically need a FRS (Family Radio Service) radio. No license is required to use these. Most are pretty cheap in terms of cost and quality.

You could also use MURS (Multi Use Radio Service) radios, but these are much more expensive and harder to find. They are high quality, though.

balfred

Officer Bowling, checking in. [emoji14]

Seriously, it is extremely easy to get a Technician license. You can use any number of free online study sites, and the test fee is a whole $14. We have a number of kids in the valley that are under 12 years old who have licenses, so I'm not kidding when I say it isn't difficult. Around the corner from me is an 11-year-old girl who recently earned her Amateur Extra, the highest ham radio license there is.

Back to the radios. I have some experience with the cheap Baofengs. Their quality is hit or miss. Some radios hold up well over time; others (like my first one) develop problems and need to be replaced. Getting warranty service is about impossible... but that's fine, since buying a new one barely costs more than shipping your old one in for repair. Just consider them disposable radios.

In case you or anyone else reading this thread wants to use a radio but refuses to get a ham license, here is a summary I wrote a while back for another forum. This is a list of all the common car-to-car radio options, listed in order from shortest to longest range of communication. Many of them require no license, as noted below.

FRS (Family Radio Service) benefits:
1) uses handheld "bubblepack" radios which are tiny, extremely inexpensive, and widely available
3) FM operation for clear sound and little interference

FRS drawbacks:
1) limited to .5 watt output, which keeps range extremely short
2) radios must have fixed antennas, also hurting range (especially when transmitting inside a car)
3) only 14 channels available

MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) benefits:
1) no license required, so everybody can use one
2) FM operation for clear sound and little interference
3) 2 watt maximum output provides slightly greater range than FRS
4) external antennas are allowed, potentially increasing range a little further still

MURS drawbacks:
1) range with fixed antenna radios is still very short (especially when transmitting inside a car)
2) radios with removable antennas get pricey
3) only 5 channels available

GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) benefits:
1) FM operation for clear sound and little interference
2) 50 watt maximum output can significantly increase range (but most handhelds only put out 4-5 watts max)
3) can use repeaters to increase range even further

GMRS drawbacks:
1) always requires a license for use (no exam; just a fee)
2) range for typical handhelds ("bubblepack" radios) w/o a repeater isn't much better than MURS
3) repeaters are very scarce (Utah has only 6, for example)
4) high power mobile radios are very expensive ($275+ for just the radio)
5) only 15 channels available (22 total on handheld hybrid FRS/GMRS radios)

CB (Citizen's Band) benefits:
1) affordable; new mobile radio/antenna/cable/mount setup can be had for ~ $75
3) CB radios are very common among Jeepers
4) CB offers better range than all the above options (except a high power mobile GMRS radio)

CB downsides:
1) there are thousands of a**holes out there actively trying to ruin your experience
2) 4 watt maximum legal output limits range, though it beats all above handheld options
3) CB uses scratchy, static-filled AM operation

Ham radio benefits:
1) FAR better range than all the above options (mobile radios usually put out 50 watts or more)
2) low power handheld radios can use upgraded antennas, further increasing their range
3) thanks to repeaters, the range gets even better (especially with linked repeaters)
4) repeaters are very common (at last count, Utah has 129 on 2m and 179 on 70cm)
5) dual band radios offer hundreds of frequencies ("channels") for use
6) ham operators tend to be much better behaved than CB operators
7) mobile ham radio typically uses FM operation for clear sound and little interference

Ham radio drawbacks:
1) you must earn a license by passing a 35-question test
2) moderately expensive; a quality 50w 2m mobile radio/antenna/cable setup runs ~ $225
3) because of #1 and #2, many Jeepers don't have a ham radio

Once you've had a taste of ham radio, you will forever look down on CBs due to their significant shortcomings. But does that mean CBs are entirely worthless? Of course not. If all you want to do is talk to other vehicles in your caravan and you'll always be very close to each other, CBs would be a simple, cheap way to achieve your goals. If you're really thinking you may be in a remote area with no phone service and you might need to make an emergency communication with the outside world, CB will very likely be completely useless in such a situation... and if you're counting on it to save you, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

In case you didn't know, ham radio has an entire culture centered around emergency communication and response. There are a great many hams out there who are eager and willing to assist any sort of distress call they hear. (This is where the whole mantra of "when all other forms of communication fail, there is ham radio" originates.) Be advised that most hams take great pride in their hobby, meaning they also police it. Most legit hams aren't thrilled by people who illegally use these frequencies, to the point that they sometimes track down pirates and turn them over to the authorities.

Anyway, those are some thoughts on the matter.
That is awesome information! Thank you for all of that! Sounds like I have some homework to do!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Sounds like I have some homework to do!

Like most ham operators, I am eager to help others learn. As a ham who Jeeps, I am personally baffled as to why other enthusiasts would be reluctant to get a a ham license... but maybe that's because I have already "seen the light" while they have not. Feel free to ask any questions at any time. If you'd like an in-person demonstration to try out a couple radios yourself, I've been known to do that also.

As an example, at the 2015 Easter Jeep safari I was bouncing along the 3D trail. I had no cell phone service whatsoever. I also had no passenger, which means I had nobody to talk to. Not wanting to monopolize the CB since the officials occasionally needed it to guide us along, I fired up my ham radio and tuned into a Moab repeater which is part of a linked system. I found another motorist who was also tuned in and we began chatting. When I asked where he was, he revealed that he was driving through South Jordan at the time.

To a (legal) CBer, this sort of thing is a flat-out miracle. For a ham, it's just another day on the radio. :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Check out hamstudy.org.

That is an excellent site, written and run by a few local friends. I used it to prepare for my General and Extra tests. Another benevolent local Extra ham has written up the following "best practice" suggested way to study for and get your license. This is the method I used to pass my General and Extra tests, so I can confirm that it works well:

- Go to HamStudy.org and register for a free account (confirm by email)
- Select Technician
- Click Study Flash Cards
- At the top of the page click the All Questions dropdown and select T1
- Answer each question in the flash cards for T1 until you've mastered the material
- Simply guess at the answers if you need to, but resist the temptation to click I don't know
- Move on to T2, etc.
- Once you've mastered all ten sub-elements, click the return arrow in the upper-left corner (not your browser Back button), Select Practice Test, and start taking the practice exams until you've achieved at least 92% on several in a row
- When you go to take the actual exam, after you pass the Technician exam you'll be offered to take the General exam free-of-charge; if you think the General class license might appeal to you then it could be in your best interest to go over the General exam questions as well.

As for the General license, I didn't bother to even look at those question back when I studied for my Technician license... so when they offered that test to me and I took it just for kicks, I didn't pass it. I didn't care; I knew it would be easy enough for me to properly study and pass that test when I felt it was necessary. In other words, don't get overwhelmed. I suggest you just focus on the Technician license. Once you acquire it, get your feet wet and start dabbling in the hobby. You'll quickly see there is a lot you can do with that Technician license. If you eventually feel you want/need access to the lower frequencies, you can study a bit more and upgrade to General at that time.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
While what Dempsey said is true for the cost of a mobile ham radio setup (mounted unit in your vehicle) you can get a cheap handheld with an upgraded antenna for $50-60 (like what you had initially linked to here.) There are lots of guys that run those on the trail for person to person communication and are happy with the coverage. I did that for a year then bought an external magnet mount antenna that I hooked to the handheld. It increased the range and was great for a while. Just this last year I upgraded to a full blown fancy mobile radio and hard mount antenna. I would still use the handheld had it not been stolen and I'm considering buying another now for a trail radio to help spot or stuff like that when I jump out of my rig but am still on the trail.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Nate is correct. Due to the low initial cost, it is somewhat common for new hams to just buy a cheap Baofeng handheld, get an upgraded antenna (either a screw-on for handheld use or a mag mount for in-vehicle use), and off they go. Is this the ideal way to do it for in-car use? No. Does it give you more flexibility since you can hop out of your Jeep and continue talking on your radio? Definitely! Like we say, this is an easy, low-cost way to begin getting into the hobby.

When my first Baofeng broke on me, I was lucky enough that Amazon sent me a replacement. At the time, it was still my only radio... so that's when I decided to step up to something with higher quality. I spent $150 and bought a Yaesu FT-60 handheld. Yes, it was five times the price of the disposable Baofeng. Everybody knows that. That's how so many hams rationalize the Baofeng--they all say, "if I drop it and it breaks, I'll just buy another one." Well, sure. But what do you do for the rest of the time on the trail without a radio? I looked at it another way: why not have a radio that won't break if you drop it? While I still have that replacement Baofeng and I occasionally use it around the house, that Yaesu gets thrown in the glovebox and goes with me on every Jeep run as a backup option. It also went into my carry-on bag when I just flew out to Ohio, where I used it to connect with some hams and even participate in a net (an on-air group meeting).

Having said all that, I will come back around to what Nate said. If the low cost of the Chinese radios is what it takes for you to get into the hobby, then by all means please purchase a Baofeng radio. Once you begin to experience what ham radio can do for you, it will only be a matter of time before you'll want something better. ;)

Kevin B.

Big hippy
and I'm considering buying another now for a trail radio to help spot or stuff like that when I jump out of my rig but am still on the trail.

At $30, why not? A fella can have a usable radio and a license for less than the cost of a Midway or Cobra plug-in unit. Upgrade later if you need, and if not, don't. That's my plan. :D