Long Canyon trail conditions update

RogueJeepr

Here!
Here's some trail conditions update on Long Canyon (moab).

Starting from the bottom the trail is good and stays that way until.... Just past going under the rock. Maybe 100yrds passed it.

As the trail narrows with walls on both sides is a complete dug out section with a rock slab on the left and a wall on the right to slide into.

The UTVs had made a line going up it but a vehicle would have a harder time getting up it.
There a rocks stacked up against the slab and some to fill in holes dug in the soft sand ,which makes it slippery.
2 vehicles before us turned around.

I'd have to recommend the trail rating up a notch or two .
2 lockers (at least a rear locker)
Possible body damage to the whole right side of your rig.

I'll post some pics sometime soon.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Pics.
140163d083243f8b50dfa9256e6e9a68.jpg

bcb0b6c248b38cacf2f1a21879726411.jpg

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Are those pics from November, or did you go again?
Looking to hit this trail next month, in stock vehicles. We will be going down, not up.

Anybody have more info?

RogueJeepr

Here!
From November. It did look like had been that way for awhile, looking at the rubber and grooves that was in the rock.
Maybe give deadhorse state park a call to see if it's been repaired.
At the condition it was in, going down I think you would slide into the LF fender the way that wall was.

Going up.
Two bigger Toyota's ahead of me turned around but I was able to make it through after 3 tries.
Open diffs , using the E-brake and some power braking while picking a line trying not to flex and keep equal traction to all 4 tires. Still 3 wheeled and my RR window about an inch or so from hitting the wall.

I really didn't want to go back down, take the highway around and burn up another hour.
Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Udink

Are those pics from November, or did you go again?
Looking to hit this trail next month, in stock vehicles. We will be going down, not up.

Anybody have more info?
It's been repaired--all filled in with sand. I made it up in my wife's Honda Pilot on 2/18/2017.

IMG_9066.JPG

IMG_9068.JPG

IMG_9071.JPG

Wasatch Penguin

Long Canyon is back to it's older self again. At least as of last Friday during EJS. We took a break to just have a nice long scenic day run around Deadhorse. Started from Potash and went past the ponds and out and up Schaffer with a little spur out to Musselman for some photos then back down Long Canyon and back along the river back in to Moab.

We were not planning on anything real obstacle like as we had all the kids, some little and three vehicles....a stock Sport, a '14 Cherokee, and my Rubicon with 35s. Long Canyon was rougher than expected but totally do-able until that little squeeze and it has eroded back to rock and not insignificant for normal SUVs at this point. My neighbors father in law was in the Cherokee and decided to give it a shot. He is an expert driver and has been wheeling Moab for 40 +years. I had my serious doubts after seeing the JK Sport bang his way down it.

He made it clean and I was super impressed...really cool to see what a Jeep of the dealer floor can do with an expert driver. It was not issue for the Rubi but the sand has made the rock pretty slick...I think coming up right now might need lockers, certainly would not hurt.

Looks like it may be ready for another fill, but it makes LC a little more interesting if you are in the right vehicle. There were a couple of rentals that were behind us and that was not pretty but kinda fun to watch. I think they were ready for a ride on a dirt road and they were pretty amazed when the Cherokee went on down and could not turn around after that.

IMG_3382.JPGIMG_3390.JPGIMG_3388.JPGIMG_3386.JPGIMG_3385.JPG

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Did this portion of Long Canyon on the first Sunday of EJS while gunning on Day Canyon Point. A couple of vehicles had to make a second attempt at it, but the only one who had a bit of an issue was a bone stock Defender 90. His wheelbase and open diff's made it difficult to find traction in the sand. But keeping the passenger tires on the right along the wall got him up no problem. Any of the longer wheelbase rigs did just fine. It looks a lot more difficult than it is as long as you've got the right line and a good spot.
I'm sure that Grand County will be in to fill it again, but if they don't, that'll be come a pretty wild obstacle!