Northern Utah Headed to Ely next weekend. Any route suggestions?

balfred

I am headed to Ely next weekend for the first time to see family. Any interesting routes that are better than just taking I-80 to Wendover and down?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Driving to Ely doesn't leave you very many options. About your only significant alternate--assuming you want to stay on paved roads, anyway--is to take hwy 50 from Delta to Ely. If you go that way, I suggest you take hwy 6 to get to Delta (you could even take Redwood Road all the way to 6 if you like, avoiding the interstate entirely). Once you're on 6, be sure to allow some time to stop and look around in Eureka (which is only about 10 miles from Redwood Road). This is a near-ghost town that is just barely clinging to life, and it looks like it could die out entirely at any moment. I spent an afternoon there a couple years ago and really enjoyed the visit.

HTH

balfred

Driving to Ely doesn't leave you very many options. About your only significant alternate--assuming you want to stay on paved roads, anyway--is to take hwy 50 from Delta to Ely. If you go that way, I suggest you take hwy 6 to get to Delta (you could even take Redwood Road all the way to 6 if you like, avoiding the interstate entirely). Once you're on 6, be sure to allow some time to stop and look around in Eureka (which is only about 10 miles from Redwood Road). This is a near-ghost town that is just barely clinging to life, and it looks like it could die out entirely at any moment. I spent an afternoon there a couple years ago and really enjoyed the visit.

HTH
Thanks for the tips! I haven't been through eureka in years, I could do that. I don't mind taking some dirt here and there as long as it doesn't add 4 hours haha

capt scotty

There is a cool train museum in Ely. They do a Christmas train ride this time of year if you need something to do once you get there. The Nevada Northern Railway Museum, the workshop is huge if you like tools. Not much else in Ely!!