Winter trails local to Salt Lake City area

JPaul

Are there any trails near/around the Salt Lake City area that would be open during the winter? I know Skyline is closed, but I don't know what else is around here that would be open during the winter months. I'm looking to possibly do a short trail or two while I've got some time off from work next Monday and/or Tuesday.

JPaul

Also, I'm not understanding why I was able to post this thread right away, but the thread I started in the introductions section says it has to be approved by a moderator (first submitted it last night and tried again after making this one).

Houndoc

Most your west desert trails off the Pony Express Trail are open- but be aware of weather. More likely to be mud than snow and that is not a good thing!

rholbrook

I have been going up Bountiful Canyon every time it snows. Last night we went up to the gate at Buckland Campground. There was a snowcat on the other side of the gate and it had pushed snow on both sides of the gate for a ramp. I stopped almost at the top of the ramp to look around. There had only been a few vehicles up there that far since it had snowed yesterday. Down the road a little ways you could see where a lot of vehicles couldnt make it past that and you could see where a lot of help was needed to get them out.

On the way out we passed another snowcat grooming the trail. We pulled over and let it through and when we got to the parking lot we saw the Sparks Motors trucks.(Diesel Brothers) The tracked Dodge they did for one of the Godfrey boys was in the parking lot. I think the snowcat would be fun to take up there.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have heard that any trails/roads groomed for snowmobiles are supposed to be closed to wheeled vehicles, anybody know if that's true?

rholbrook

This was a privately owned groomer. They have a cabin on the Farmington side apparently. This was communicated to us by someone in the parking lot that talked to them.

JPaul

I have been going up Bountiful Canyon every time it snows.

Is that the Ward Canyon road near the "B" you're talking about? I looked at that area on Google maps just now. Looks like it might be a fun little excursion for me. When I lived up in Centerville back in 2005 I'd go to the Lyons shooting range occasionally. I never tried driving up any of those roads above that though. But all I had then was a little Nissan 2wd pickup and a PT Cruiser.

DaveN

I'm in the same boat...Local to SLC but don't know of much that isn't gated. I'm always game to get out if you're looking for someone!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm in the same boat...Local to SLC but don't know of much that isn't gated. I'm always game to get out if you're looking for someone!

The 5 mile Pass area is open year round. Search "rattlesnake" on here and you'll find plenty of directions.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Also, I'm not understanding why I was able to post this thread right away, but the thread I started in the introductions section says it has to be approved by a moderator (first submitted it last night and tried again after making this one).

Probably the forum settings, new users with a limited amount of posts often have their threads go into approval just in case they're a spammer. Spammers get thru every now & again so it does happen.

DaveN

Thanks! 5 Mile and Little Moab are fun, just a little far from where I am. I'd love to find a place to go that is less than 60 minutes away from SL.

Houndoc

Thanks! 5 Mile and Little Moab are fun, just a little far from where I am. I'd love to find a place to go that is less than 60 minutes away from SL.

Those are both very reasonable drives from SL, probably the best trails you are going to find close by and not much over your 1 hour target if at all.

Houndoc

I have been going up Bountiful Canyon every time it snows. Last night we went up to the gate at Buckland Campground. There was a snowcat on the other side of the gate and it had pushed snow on both sides of the gate for a ramp. I stopped almost at the top of the ramp to look around. There had only been a few vehicles up there that far since it had snowed yesterday. Down the road a little ways you could see where a lot of vehicles couldnt make it past that and you could see where a lot of help was needed to get them out.

On the way out we passed another snowcat grooming the trail. We pulled over and let it through and when we got to the parking lot we saw the Sparks Motors trucks.(Diesel Brothers) The tracked Dodge they did for one of the Godfrey boys was in the parking lot. I think the snowcat would be fun to take up there.

Gate closed but they built snow ramp to get over it??

JPaul

Just got done with the drive. Sitting in a parking lot in Centerville deciding what to have for lunch.

I went up Ward and stopped up by the gate. Got myself a wee bit stuck in that overlook area (my fault for stopping in the deeper snow). But a little shovel action to clear the snow from in front of and behind the tires was all I needed to free myself.

I decided to drive back down Old Ward since the snow wasn't very deep and seemed pretty solid. It was great fun. Only a few areas that worried me due to potentially sliding off the trail.

At the bottom though was the worst, someone left their Land Cruiser parked across the trail and I didn't see them until it was too late. Turned out the trail was all ice right there and I barely succeed in stopping in time. Of course there wasn't enough room to go around him, but fortunately I was able to drive over the berm and drive down the side of the hill. This is right above the parking lot at the foot of the trails. Hopefully the owner comes and gets their vehicle soon.

rholbrook

Here is a drone video of the gate as well as a picture. I was told that by making a ramp over the gate that the snowcats could get over the gates earlier to get to the cabins on the Farmington side as well as make it easier for the snowmobiles to get through too. It would normally take until January to have enough snow to drive over the gates anyway. I'm not justifying it by any means, just telling you what I have been told. The cabin owners are pretty upset that they have to go from the Bountiful side to get to their cabins since the FAA will no longer maintain the rode going up Farmington Canyon. The controls of the radar towers is all done over the internet now and its much cheaper to fly someone up there a few times a winter than to maintain the roads all winter long.

[video=youtube;w_QG3TN02rA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_QG3TN02rA[/video]

jeep%20at%20gate.jpg

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
so what happens if (when) a wheeled vehicle goes past the gate? are they tresspassing? huge fines? or is it, 'youre on your own if you get in a bad situation'?