WTB Small Truck with Manual, Suspension

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am looking to buy, not sell, a small truck (leaning Tacoma or Ranger).

Must Have's:
-Manual Trans
-4X4
-Reliable/Maintained
-Extra Cab or larger
-Street legal

Wish List
-under $10k (I know, I know, but it is a wish!) I will certainly go higher for the right truck.
-Rear Locker a major plus!
-4 doors would be nice, even if it's just the extra cab

If you have something, please post up or send me the details at 8O1. 663. 63O5.

I will also be posting some KSL adds here to see if any of you are the sellers, or know more history about some of the trucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know anything about this taco?
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3345424?ad_cid=3

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Ad says "OEM lift kit" - what is that?

I think your expectations/requirements are pretty realistic - should be pretty easy - even with a manual suspension. :p

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Ad says "OEM lift kit" - what is that?

I think your expectations/requirements are pretty realistic - should be pretty easy - even with a manual suspension. :p

I just drove this one. The OEM lift was a lift installed by the dealer when the truck was new. It's in ok condition, but I didn't fall in love with it.

sixstringsteve

My old tacoma (now Spork's) with the 2.7L and manual trans didn't have tons of power, but it was one of my all-time favorite trucks. I love that combo. The 3.4L with a manual is a fun, peppy truck too, but those are tough to find and $$$.

Good luck. If you do get a tacoma, plan on replacing the lower ball joints with factory ones as soon as you get it. I totalled a tacoma due to faulty lbjs.

One other thing to consider... the 4runners always sold for more than the tacomas when new, but for some reason they lose their value faster. Yet they often have better suspension, better brakes, and more features. I never could understand why the 4runners were so much cheaper than the tacomas once they hit more than 50k miles.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
My old tacoma (now Spork's) with the 2.7L and manual trans didn't have tons of power, but it was one of my all-time favorite trucks. I love that combo. The 3.4L with a manual is a fun, peppy truck too, but those are tough to find and $$$.

Good luck. If you do get a tacoma, plan on replacing the lower ball joints with factory ones as soon as you get it. I totalled a tacoma due to faulty lbjs.

One other thing to consider... the 4runners always sold for more than the tacomas when new, but for some reason they lose their value faster. Yet they often have better suspension, better brakes, and more features. I never could understand why the 4runners were so much cheaper than the tacomas once they hit more than 50k miles.

Thanks for the input! I have the GX so I was looking for the utility of the truck instead of another wagon...

sixstringsteve

you can check real-world MPG on fuelly.com. Last I looked, the frontiers were pretty low on the MPG. I got as much as 22 mph out of my 4-door 2001 tacoma (though it was usually around 19 mpg)

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I got as much as 22 mph out of my 4-door 2001 tacoma (though it was usually around 19 mpg)

22 mph? Must have taken you forever to go anywhere :rofl:

My '04 taco 3.4 auto gets 14-15 city and around 20 highway depending how fast over 75mph it drops fast. Its also supercharged but haven't noticed much of a mpg change since putting the SC on.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

I'm still running around with it, if you can live with a standard cab they are usually quite a bit cheaper than the double cab or extended cab. I'd even sell mine for the right price. ;) fits most your options except for the larger cab. Even has a rear locker and a Doubler.
From what I understand a manual transmission was only available in the extended and standard cab Tacomas, the Double cab didn't get the option until the 2nd generation Tacoma. Currently it's not used as much as I would like since it only fits me +1. If I were to change trucks I'd look at the 1st gen Tundra so I could stick a pile of girls in it. ;)

sixstringsteve

Supposedly some of the prerunner 2wd 4-doors came with a manual trans, but it was never available in a 4x4 4-door (though several people have modded them to accept a 5 speed trans). THey're peppier with the manual trans.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Here's the one I bought.

e60b71c243a78aedd1767e375dbef281.jpg