driving OVER gates up above Bountiful

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
cruising around FB last night, and came across a picture of an XJ parked on top of a closed gate, which had has snow pushed up on both sides (apparently by a local shop who has a TV show about diesel trucks), making it easy for just about anything to drive over it. The original poster claimed that he spoke with local deputies who only said it was a grey area: shouldnt be up there, but that its not really partrolled. anyone know anything more about this? Is this a common occurance up there? how about the legality of traveling past that gate?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, I could see how it's a grey area... and I agree with Hickey, you'll likely piss off the snowmobile community, especially WHEN (not IF) you fall thru the crust and make massive holes trying to get a 4x4 out. When the gates are closed, the trail are open only to tracked, over-the-snow vehicles. While they may not be patrolled by law enforcement, there is a chance of running into Forest Service employees that I would only imagine would be happy to direct the local police to you & your rig. Or some pissed off snowmobile rider will be happy to take a few pics of the offending rig and it's driver to pass on to the right people, when they can.

I would think that there are plenty of places a 4x4 can go to play in the snow legally and NOT piss off the snowmobile users. IMO it's lame to not think about others when you go out to play in the snow and disregard the gates. Just because someone can drive over them due to a snow ramp is now excuse for doing so.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I would think that there are plenty of places a 4x4 can go to play in the snow legally and now piss off the snowmobile users.

There's actually not, not close to the city anyway. Pretty much anything along the Front that's not paved and plowed is gated. Old Ward is the only local canyon route I know of that stays open.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There's actually not, not close to the city anyway. Pretty much anything along the Front that's not paved and plowed is gated. Old Ward is the only local canyon route I know of that stays open.

In years past RME members would make trips up towards Heber and many of them knew open roads that weren't gated & legal to go play in the snow. I'm sure much of the Wasatch Front has been locked down, that's the problem with 'growth & progression' unfortunately.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
This is where all that hippy BS from Tread Lightly! and some of the more considerate groups out there comes into play. Legal or not, if you're going to be whining about all your trails being closed by other groups, maybe don't be the guy out there wrecking them for other people. I would call it "common courtesy", but it's not. We can't be the bad guys we despise.

Let me be clear that I am speaking generally here and not singling anyone out. :D

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
In reference to a post that was made in the other thread, if this has anything to do with that particular diesel shop and the truck that was built for the Godfrey Clan (not Nitro Circus since there was a parting of ways there) I would hope somebody would snap a picture and turn them in. I had an issue with he Godfrey Clan over a video that was posted awhile back of some things they were doing in the St. George area. When I messaged the guy who posted it, he quickly took it down. There are people out there that think the rules do not apply to them.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't know what situation you're referring to Paul but there have been a bunch of pics of FB groups heading up on groomed trails. Logan, Bountiful, etc.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
and tonight there are 2 trucks that drove over the gates and are now stuck up there and requesting help... no one wants to go up past the gate to help them due to its off limits.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

lhracing

^ That's interesting that Farmington is open to 4WDs all the way up and across Skyline, but Ward Canyon from Bountiful to the top isn't.

Per the Forest Service maps the road is closed November 1st to OHV travel at the top of Farmington canyon where the is splits to go to the towers and across Skyline. It is only open to OSV Over Snow Vehicles, here is the OSV Forest Service definition.

OVER-SNOW VEHICLE (OSV) – A self propelled vehicle intended for travel primarily on snow, having a curb weight of not more than 1,000 pounds, driven by a track or tracks in contact with the snow, and steered by a ski or skis in contact with the snow.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
road is closed November 1st to OHV travel at the top of Farmington canyon where the is splits to go to the towers and across Skyline. It is only open to OSV Over Snow Vehicles, here is the OSV Forest Service definition.

Ahah, square one instead of circle one. Bummer.

[/QUOTE]