2017 Wheeling Goals

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok, just sitting here at work and wishing I was wheeling, so I decided list out some "goals" for 2017.

With these goals, I would love it if you have some input (do or don'ts), interest in coming along, or could help with making it happen (i.e. if these are your home trails and wouldn't mind showing some folks around), to chime in.

My core group consist of two rigs (CJ's- tons and 40's with ok drivers), me, my wife, and 4 kids (7, 5, 4, 2) but depending on where and when this could grow...

Things with set dates:
Winter 4x4 Jamboree- Jan
Easter Wheeling (Moab or Sand Hallow TBD)
OSRC- May (Memorial Weekend)
Thanksgiving Moab

Open to what dates make sense for seasonality or trail guides. :)

Hole in the Rock
21 Road/Billings Canyon
Farmington NM (I have been here a couple times with the wounded warriors and would love to get back down with some friends/family)
Rubicon

Thanks in advance for any help.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Good idea!

I only have one set date event I'm planning to attend this year:
Easter Jeep Safari -- My schedule is as follows, First Sat.- Hells Revenge, Sunday-Chicken Corners, Monday-Secret Spire, Tuesday-Copper Ridge, Wed-open day, Thursday-Cliffhanger....we'll see how I'm doing on Friday/Sat....

Would like to do the following:
Hole in the Rock
(always interested in Rubicon trip!---not sure I can swing that this year or not?)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Would like to do the following:
Hole in the Rock
(always interested in Rubicon trip!---not sure I can swing that this year or not?)

I would love you catch a couple of trails with you and your clan this year.

have you run either of these? your avatar suggests the rubicon... :) But I can't remember...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't think my JK is up for 21 Road or Billings, but I'd be happy to help however I can if you come to Colorado!

I was also thinking about an RME San Juans trip this Summer, say July sometime? Camp/Hotel in Ouray/Silverton for a 3-4 day mountain trip, obviously not a challenging rockcrawling trip, but more scenic & amazing mountain trip.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I don't think my JK is up for 21 Road or Billings, but I'd be happy to help however I can if you come to Colorado!

I was also thinking about an RME San Juans trip this Summer, say July sometime? Camp/Hotel in Ouray/Silverton for a 3-4 day mountain trip, obviously not a challenging rockcrawling trip, but more scenic & amazing mountain trip.

With both rigs, we would definitely have room for you and Catherine. :) Thinking back on that trip 10+ years ago with Shawn, Dtoy, Jeff made me want to come back!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I've ran Rubicon twice. Once in my JKU and once in my "Jeep". No longer own the JKU.

We are obviously trailer babies, so we would probably start on the California side run into the top of Cadillac hill then back to the trailers... :D

When is good time of year to beat the crowds but not get buried in snow?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We are obviously trailer babies, so we would probably start on the California side run into the top of Cadillac hill then back to the trailers... :D

When is good time of year to beat the crowds but not get buried in snow?

Last year I went the 4th week of June? In 2013 I went the 2nd week of July. Both were "good" times to go. Kind of early in the season but neither year did we run into any significant snow (I don't remember any?). Avatar is on Rubicon.

When we went in 2013, we stored our trailers/tow rigs in South Lake Tahoe and drove around to Airport Flats. (probably about 50 miles?) Your Scrambler would be fine on that road. Not sure about the other rig? You'd want to check into legality and such for that rig. One guy I went with parked his semi near Airport Flats, ran the trail with us and cruised back around to Airport Flats to pick up his tow rig.

Both times we've spent two nights on the trail. First time we camped at Buck Island Lake and then at Rubicon Springs. This past year we camped just below Walker Hill and then at Rubicon Springs. Both trips were good. I would probably do the Buck Island-Rubicon Springs thing if I did it again. I'd also be pretty surprised if I can get my wife to go with me again. I've got a kid coming home from a 2 year vacation in OR that wants to do a "tropical" trip this fall. Rubicon would likely be a stretch for me (unless he wants to go, then I'm solid :D---he gets home in early Aug so I won't know until then)

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Last year I went the 4th week of June? In 2013 I went the 2nd week of July. Both were "good" times to go. Kind of early in the season but neither year did we run into any significant snow (I don't remember any?). Avatar is on Rubicon.

When we went in 2013, we stored our trailers/tow rigs in South Lake Tahoe and drove around to Airport Flats. (probably about 50 miles?) Your Scrambler would be fine on that road. Not sure about the other rig? You'd want to check into legality and such for that rig. One guy I went with parked his semi near Airport Flats, ran the trail with us and cruised back around to Airport Flats to pick up his tow rig.

Both times we've spent two nights on the trail. First time we camped at Buck Island Lake and then at Rubicon Springs. This past year we camped just below Walker Hill and then at Rubicon Springs. Both trips were good. I would probably do the Buck Island-Rubicon Springs thing if I did it again. I'd also be pretty surprised if I can get my wife to go with me again. I've got a kid coming home from a 2 year vacation in OR that wants to do a "tropical" trip this fall. Rubicon would likely be a stretch for me (unless he wants to go, then I'm solid :D---he gets home in early Aug so I won't know until then)

Can't believe its been two years already... wow.

August sounds good :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I still want to drive to Prudhoe Bay and back, although this year I might go to Europe instead, rent a motorcycle in drive around croatia, then head to germany for oktoberfest.

Otherwise I have similar goals...2k dirt miles. 50 nights in a tent. Hang out with fun people. Knock some more trails off my to-do list..such as....

Magruder Corridor
More exploring around Gray's River
The Full Pony
The Rubicon
More exploring on Boulder Mtn
Mainland Mexico to Copper Canyon

I'm also planning on getting a new vehicle this fall. Most likely a 2018 Taco, but if anyone ever comes out with a decent suspension setup for the Colorado (or if the Ranger or Pickup Wrangler look to be worth waiting for) I'll look long and hard at those. I also love the new 4Runners....but I really like having a truck bed.

rholbrook

In 2016 I made it to Moab 10 times in the JKU. We planned on Ouray/Silverton with my group of old guys I ride and jeep with but Harrison had a race that weekend so we didn't join them so that is back on my list in 2017. Also in 2017 we are planning on HITR late spring, I know we will hit Moab around the Jeep Safari sometime and then several other times as we feel like going but this year will be busy with lots of other activities and trips that do not include jeeping. On my list is also the Rubicon but it won't happen this year. Too many other things going on which will limit our time.

I would like to do some exploring in the jeep, San Rafael, Canyon Lands, etc.. with some of you that know these areas.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
HITR
Black Dragon Canyon and the rest of Eagle Canyon
The Full Pony - might be good, if I can swing it.
Lockhart Basin
Beef Basin

Not much specific after those. Just as long as I get out in some dirt.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Hole in the Rock is on my list, and at least one trip to Moab, between the preparation for and then having our little boy we haven't made it to Moab in 2 years.

pkrfctr

Jinx, when the new jeep is done, ride over to pick it up with me and ill show you some great trails. Definately open to a rubicon run. Al and crew run it every year. Anyone who runs rubicon and doesnt run fordyce (that has a capable rig) is crazy. Its by far my favorite run ever.
I've been trying to do hump amd bump for years, maybe this will be the year.
Definately up for HITR, and the baby should handle it ok by summer.
I'd love to get back to price too. I've always said price has some of the best and most overlooked trails around.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
WERock grand nationals are in Farmington again this year 9/9-10 so planning a trip around that would be cool. I'm hoping to stay at least a day after and do some rec wheeling.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Jinx, when the new jeep is done, ride over to pick it up with me and ill show you some great trails. Definately open to a rubicon run. Al and crew run it every year. Anyone who runs rubicon and doesnt run fordyce (that has a capable rig) is crazy. Its by far my favorite run ever.
I've been trying to do hump amd bump for years, maybe this will be the year.
Definately up for HITR, and the baby should handle it ok by summer.
I'd love to get back to price too. I've always said price has some of the best and most overlooked trails around.

Are you thinking you won't get your rig until summer? That makes me sad...:(

WERock grand nationals are in Farmington again this year 9/9-10 so planning a trip around that would be cool. I'm hoping to stay at least a day after and do some rec wheeling.

That could be a cool time to go, not too hot.

When I have been in August in the past it is pretty warm... :)