97 TJ - Right turn indicator is dim and headlights dim when turn signal is on

balfred

So I have this strange problem that just started and is bugging the crap out of me.

Problem 1: when I turn on the right turn signal the indicator on the dash is dimmed to probably 50 percent of the normal brightness

Problem 2: when the headlights are on and I activate the right turn signal the headlights pulse with the rhythm of the signal as if there were extreme electrical draw/resistance. The left signal has no effect on the lights

I know that problem 1 causes problem 2 so they have to be related as both problems just started happening.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I'm not too good with electrical gremlins so go easy on me.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
The right turn signal wire and the headlight wire have become shorted out. Probably in the steering column. The dimming is due to heavy power draw. More then likely something in the column has caused the wires to lose the insulation and short out.

Just my opinion.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Bad ground. 99.99999% of the time lights flashing/flickering/pulsing when they shouldn't is caused by a circuit backfeeding through that light as it searches for a good path to ground. Most likely the connection at the turn signal light bulb. Sometimes the nipple on the bottom of the bulb will wear away causing this, or the ground wire is corroded, but not fully broken.

Let us know what you find/found.

balfred

Actually Robb (b2 bomber) fixed it for me. It was corrosion behind the right rear tail light at the socket on the harness. He is awesome! So nice to have lights that don't dim with the blinker