Land Rover Electric heater automotive application.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Does anyone know of an electric heater for an automotive application?

I'm about ready to finish my Range Rover up and the heater core is probably broken. When I was installing the engine into the hole it hit one of the heatercore pipes.

Taking the dash out is a 8-10 hour job. And I never want to have to do it again. Unfortunately the Range Rover heater cores are not the most reliable part.

I want to put something electric in the place of the stock heater core.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueJeepr

Here!
Those still require coolant hoses just like your existing heater core. Im not sure if there is a fully electric heater.

I guess you could go that route, maybe give up some floor space and mount it in a easier location but tying it in to your defrost hosing may be a challenge.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rholbrook

We used to use the ones Greg linked to back in the day when you used to toss your kids in the back of the truck in the shell with a sweet shag carpet kit. You still needed to run the coolant hoses but they worked great.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Your typical 1500W cheapo portable heater for the house would need 125A @ 12V for the same output. That's a pretty big alternator upgrade.
That 20k BTU heater equates to about 5KW or a 416A draw for a 12V, all electric version. (6.7 Hp just to run the heater)

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I'm going to run a 140 amp alternator and dual batteries.

But I can see how it would suck a lot of juice.

The heater of the Range Rover is not lacking any heat output. It keeps the interior plenty warm.

I'm going to have to redo my heater hose routing. But I guess I might as well just do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigator

I was going to use this because they work extremely well but never got around to putting together the rest of the parts.

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/42728453

I put it up for sale last week because I currently do not have a rig that I can use it in.

You would still need to round up a small fuel pump, rheostat, step up converter, ducting, and wire it up but they are great and lots of info online about them. Or buy a complete kit somewhere.

thenag

I saw a 12v heater at Autozone yesterday, I can't find it on their website now. There are little heaters available. The more I think about the more I think that it might work out ok, a vehicle is a small space and you are not moving around. I have a couple of 120v heaters for my garage, they are great if you are standing right in front of them, so if you had a vehicle cab and had a much smaller version right by you it might work out.

Heated seats help a lot.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that to pass safety inspection you need to have a defroster, If you mount something like this on the dash it might pass?

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL...3479982&sr=8-2&keywords=12volt+heater+for+car

Nathan