4 cyl TJ mpg's? Other small 4x4 questions

pELYgroso

'Merica
Does anybody have an educated guess on fuel mileage that I'd expect to get out of a 4 cyl 5 speed TJ? I'm looking at some small SUV's and hoping to get around 20 mpg's-ish.

I'm also looking at geo trackers. Anything good or bad to say about those?

Does anybody have an unmolested and clean 1st gen 4runner for sale? Or a 4cyl later gen 4runner?

I need a commuter, want a rig, but can't have both so I'm trying to find something as a happy medium for now. The rig side of it only needs 4 lo I guess, but I'd like something ideally with an aftermarket locker or t case gears option if possible. Other suggestions?

I'm itching to do some car camping this year...

rholbrook

On the 4cyl TJ it all depends on tire size and gearing. I had one that once I lifted it and put bigger tires on it, it wouldn't get out of its own way. Even after regearing 5th gear was pretty much a goal that you would never be able to reach. That being said, it was great off road but I pretty much trailered it on long trips and only drove it around town. I did drive it to St George and back and got around 18 mpg and I pushed it hard in 4th gear to stay at 65 mph

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've had good luck getting good mileage out of small displacement V8's with larger tires and stock gearing, than I ever did with a 4 banger.

Land Rovers usually have a 3.9L, 4.0L, or a 4.6L V8 that gets decent mileage. 17-20 mpg cruising around 65-70.

I had a Jeep Commander with 32" tall tires 2" lift and the 4.7L V8. I usually got 17-20 with it on the highway.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Geo Tracker as DD

Good to know, thanks guys! Maybe I'll look at different options than wranglers. Any experience with trackers? Anybody?

I DD a '95 Tracker with P235/75R15's, 16 valve with 5-speed. My drive to work this morning was scary, darting left and right on the highway to town at 45 mph due to the short wheel base going over frozen slush ice. Driving on the best weather days, it struggles to maintain 70 mph. MPG averages about 24 during warm weather, about 22 MPG during cold weather. My advice, get a 4.0l/AW4 Cherokee and never look back. You will get better MPG and be able to run with the pack on the freeways, plus have much better drive-ability in snow and ice.

pELYgroso

'Merica
All good things to know, thanks guys! I've had cherokees and never gotten much better than about 16 mpg's. My '14 PSD on 37s gets about 13-14. I'd like something that I can partially justify buying because of a decent improvement in fuel mileage. If I could get 18+, I think I'd be happy.... how about 1st gen Tundras? Or T-100s with the 3.4 v6? Another limiting factor is my budget of $5-6000 bucks.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
When I purchased my current '98 4.0L TJ, I owned a '97 2.5L TJ. I kept the four cylinder for six months before finally selling it. I set up both Jeeps with a budget boost lift and 31" tires, but they were otherwise completely stock for this time period. Both were 5-speed manuals; the 2.5L had 4.10 gears while the 4.0L had 3.73 gears. In identical driving over identical roads and routes, the 2.5L consistently got 1-2 mpg better than the 4.0L did (19-20 mpg verses 17-18 mpg), as calculated by hand.

Having said that, understand that freeway fuel economy is influenced much more significantly by aerodynamics than by engine displacement. The TJ Wrangler is one of the worst shapes to push through the atmosphere; as much as I love the platform, I'd never suggest one where fuel economy is a concern.

By comparison, the Sidekick/Tracker platform is an aerodynamic miracle. It would have no problem going further on a gallon of fuel than a TJ. I saw the above poster with their tale of imminent doom on the highway due to the Sidekick's tiny wheelbase, though it's only six and a half inches shorter than the TJ (86.6" verses 93.4"). Draw your own conclusions. ;)

pELYgroso

'Merica
When I purchased my current '98 4.0L TJ, I owned a '97 2.5L TJ. I kept the four cylinder for six months before finally selling it. I set up both Jeeps with a budget boost lift and 31" tires, but they were otherwise completely stock for this time period. Both were 5-speed manuals; the 2.5L had 4.10 gears while the 4.0L had 3.73 gears. In identical driving over identical roads and routes, the 2.5L consistently got 1-2 mpg better than the 4.0L did (19-20 mpg verses 17-18 mpg), as calculated by hand.

Having said that, understand that freeway fuel economy is influenced much more significantly by aerodynamics than by engine displacement. The TJ Wrangler is one of the worst shapes to push through the atmosphere; as much as I love the platform, I'd never suggest one where fuel economy is a concern.

By comparison, the Sidekick/Tracker platform is an aerodynamic miracle. It would have no problem going further on a gallon of fuel than a TJ. I saw the above poster with their tale of imminent doom on the highway due to the Sidekick's tiny wheelbase, though it's only six and a half inches shorter than the TJ (86.6" verses 93.4"). Draw your own conclusions. ;)

Thanks! I drove a 4 cyl TJ this morning and as I was accelerating for the first time, I had high hopes....until I got to 4th gear...and then 5th. granted, it has a 3" lift on 32's. It was a struggle to get it up to 65 mph. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad with smaller tires.

I haven't ruled out the Tracker yet. I'd like to drive one before I draw any conclusions.

I bought a v6 grand vitara from Davy a few year back that got abot 21 mpg's. It is an option as well...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'm totally in a critical mood today, so take me with a grain of salt.. But it takes a whole lot of MPG's to justify a second vehicle based on a need for better fuel economy. Just insurance and repairs will eat up any fuel offset, then you have the entire purchase price to try to cover. Getting a second vehicle for wheeling or camping, or for what ever specific task you have in mind is great. However, trying to get a good wheeler, and a good commuter is not really in the same league. I think you'll end up with something that is not good at either. Buy what you want. No justification required. :D

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
my 2.5L '91 YJ (multiport fuel injection, not throttle body injection) always got 17mpg with 33's and worn out engine. After the engine rebuild I did a milegae test just driving around town like a sane person, and it got 25.x mpg(!)... Driving like I typically do it was probably about 22-23mpg. Even with the (barely tuned) turbo last I roughly calculated was 21mpg.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I quit trying to calculate mpg's.
If I want to save on gas, I just wont go anywhere for a few weekends.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My 97 4runner 3.4 v6 with 33's gets 17.9 with 99% around town driving. I track every gallon I put in cars but I never look at one tank vs another so I couldn't tell you what it would do on the highway. It did get just over 20 the first few months I had it with stock tires. It has a stock rear locker and 4.30 gears. 5-6k isn't out of the question for a 3rd gen.

pELYgroso

'Merica
My 97 4runner 3.4 v6 with 33's gets 17.9 with 99% around town driving. I track every gallon I put in cars but I never look at one tank vs another so I couldn't tell you what it would do on the highway. It did get just over 20 the first few months I had it with stock tires. It has a stock rear locker and 4.30 gears. 5-6k isn't out of the question for a 3rd gen.

Thanks! I've been looking at those too. Ill be in Vegas on a couple weeks and I looked on some Vegas classifieds...why is it that there is way better selection outside utah? I might just come home with a new vehicle. I found a couple 22re 2nd gen 4runners that look good as well as other vehicles that look good. :)