Advice on welder

Bart

I have a nice little Lincoln 110 V welder that does great for sheet metal, which I use most of the time. Obviously it doesn't do well on thicker metal that I need from time to time and will need later this spring when I can work on projects again. I've been thinking about buying a dual volt welder, either Hobart, Lincoln, or Miller that could do both sheet metal and heavier metal, like suspension and motor mounts. Does anyone have any recommendations or input?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Since you already have the 110V machine, why the dual volt? I've had good luck with my Hobart 220V machine. If I need portable, I have the Lincoln 110V. For everything light to heavy, if I'm working in the shop I'll use the 220V machine.

RockChucker

I have a Miller 211. I never use it on 110v. It is a pretty good little machine. Especially after I swapped out the ground for a much bigger one. Welds like a totally different machine. The newer 211 (might be a 212 now?) is pretty cool. Much smaller than mine, but still seems to weld as good. I would really love a 252 though.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have the miller 211 and it is amazing. It has welds anything I throw at it and I have never hit the duty cycle. I bought it with a spool gun so I can do aluminum and it does it quite well. I strongly recommend the 211. Another option might be the miller multimatic. It does the same stuff, but can tig steel as well.

Come over and weld some stuff with mine. You can try it on 110 and 220 to see the difference.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Miller 211 Auto-set. It's amazing.

I'd love a too TIG but don't have too much room for a second welder. I'd love a Miller Multi-Process.

Just spit balling but If you wanted, I'd sell you my 211 so I could upgrade to something I could TIG with. That way I could sneak it by my wife. ;)

Last edited:

Caleb

It's been forever since I've really looked at welders so don't know current capacities, etc. However, back when I used to weld a ton (for a living), the mig welding I did I used several different machines and the nicest to weld with was the Miller 250. The 180 and 210 were nice and I owned a 180 for a while (built my buggy with it) but the bigger machine was awesome to weld with. I'd get as big of a machine as your budget allows.

cjncustoms

Miller 211 Auto-set. It's amazing.

I'd love a too TIG but don't have too much room for a second welder. I'd love a Miller Multi-Process.

Just spit balling but If you wanted, I'd sell you my 211 so I could upgrade to something I could TIG with. That way I could sneak it by my wife. ;)

Be careful on the dual process machines. Most I've seen only do d/c tig. So no aluminum. I haven't seen one that does a/c, d/c yet....

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Be careful on the dual process machines. Most I've seen only do d/c tig. So no aluminum. I haven't seen one that does a/c, d/c yet....

Good point.
I think ESAB has one, I know that there are some like everlast, but I'd rather go with a well know name.
but I might be ok with a spool gun for AL. I'm not planning on doing much other than maybe tabs on a fuel cell or radiator or thicker wall stuff I built a dash or cell.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I have a Miller 250. I bought mine from my old high school. Went in and talked to my old shop teacher and said they just bought a bunch of new welders so he sold me one of their older ones for dirt cheap ($300). I've had it about 8 years now and have had zero issues.

We've had a Lincoln at work for the last 10 years and it's just been little issue after little issue. Finally just swapped it out with a new Miller this last year.

Last edited:

carsonc1974

I have a miller 251 and 252. They are my favorites of anything I have ever run. They are a little bigger machine, and more money, but I would recommend going as big as you can afford. Cold Mig welds are bad news.

Bart

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. My garage is very limited on space so I will be replacing the current Lincoln with whatever I get. I'm really leaning toward a new Miller 211 right now and think that will serve my needs well.

Bart

Well, as luck would have it, I found a great deal on KSL on a Miller 211 and couldn't pass it up. Thanks for the advice.

Bart

I paid the $950 he was asking. It was brand new, in the box and he had a receipt on it from Welder's Supply for the amount they sell it for. It was too good to pass up.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My first welder was a Lincoln 180A home depot version from a guy on craigslist for $300. Box was still sealed ("his ex bought it for him and he couldn't stand to keep anything associated with her"). I didn't submit the warranty card :rolleyes: