New bulid 04 double cab tacoma

JK2NV

I know there are some toyota guys on here So I picked up a 04 double cab tacoma I got a set of bilstien 5100 adjustable struts and old man emu 883 heavy duty coils shackles. In the rear what would it take to run 35s on it thanks for the input

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have the dakar leafs on the rear of my '04. Not sure I could run 35's without some mods, but I do love the springs

JK2NV

What set are you running are you running 33s nowI have heard it's possible not sure what it took for 35s

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Its possible to run 35's but a lot of cutting is required. I ran 255/85R16 with a fox coilovers and allpro rear leafs. I cut and trimmed a lot and used a hammer on the fire wall and still constantly rubbed.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
What set are you running are you running 33s nowI have heard it's possible not sure what it took for 35s

I'm only running 31's, my truck just burns up dirt roads with the occasional crawling trail so large tires aren't necessary for me. I was more focused on not bottoming out on every bump at speed on backroads

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_Tacoma.html Stock/Light Duty is what I am running

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
8a65da000a991e22817605675af51b77.jpg

37adaed2bf26bd79d2effa05086da6a7.jpg

Here is my ride with 880 coils and Dakar leafs with one overload spring removed. Sitting on 265/75/16 tires. I measured with the lift and I could clear 35's in the rear, but would most definitely rub with much up travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonkaman

The big issue will be clearance in the front. It requires cutting out a portion of the driver/passenger floor and welding back in further away from the tire. You also have to chop a big piece out if the body mounts behind your front tires so they don't hit.

If your good at welding sheet metal it shouldn't be to crazy of a job, but very time consuming.

JK2NV

Thanks for posting that I read it on tacoma world and couldn't find it again that thing is badass and that's where I saw 35s on a tacoma

JK2NV

Top pic is when I got and I got the lift done today it's just got 265-75-16 for now I have new wheels but going to hold out till I need tires and then go 33s and then I want to do sliders and so forth

Tonkaman

These are seriously fun and capable trucks, your going to love it.

My advise to you is to replace both lower ball joints with new OEM units if they so much as looks worn in. Since you don't know the history of the truck I'd just do it now before you go get an alignment. Trust me it's cheap insurance.

These trucks can easily be flipped if one were to fail.

My two personal near misses:
d7d19144c18b045adc0f341d6f87bebc.jpg
df7cb232d1fd202a36ed775fb702f3bb.jpg

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Here's a thread I started on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-tacoma/1532505-lower-balljoint-bolt-type-torque.html

My 160k+ balljoints appeared perfectly serviceable when I replaced them but I had replaced the CV's several times and reused the original bolts, that was enough encouragement for me to freshen things up.

With anything critical, clean the threads properly and use an accurate torque wrench. When you begin to see all of the documented failures you'll want to include these as part of your LOF interval and pre-trip checklist items.

Tonkaman

Here's a thread I started on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-tacoma/1532505-lower-balljoint-bolt-type-torque.html

My 160k+ balljoints appeared perfectly serviceable when I replaced them but I had replaced the CV's several times and reused the original bolts, that was enough encouragement for me to freshen things up.

With anything critical, clean the threads properly and use an accurate torque wrench. When you begin to see all of the documented failures you'll want to include these as part of your LOF interval and pre-trip checklist items.

Excellent info.

Most of what I've been told is that the bolts are prone to stretching from over-tightening. So if they have ever been tightened by a lazy mechanic, they are very likely to fail.

Tonkaman

Did you set those Bilsteins at max lift height? If so you may have trouble getting the alignment perfect. I had the same lift and ended up putting on after market control arms to make the alignment absolutely perfect. If you have to go that route check out Specialty Products Light Racing upper control arms. They are beef!

JK2NV

Ball joints looked good no free play my bilstiens are all the way down the ome coils is what gave me my lift tonkaman where you running stock coils?

Tonkaman

Yes I was running stick coils with the clips all the way up. I think you will be much happier with the lift springs since you don't preload them