Russ' Video Stuff

rholbrook

I decided to start a thread where I can share stuff. I have been having fun with the Autel Robotics X-Star Premium drone and trying to figure out everything it can do. Last night with some friends of mine in tow we headed up on the firebreak between Farmington and Centerville to check out the new snow and decided to test the Follow Me Mode on the drone. This mode is pretty simple because you can set a default height and distance setting and then adjust those settings using the toggles. I was interested to see if it would work inside the jeep with the windows rolled up. Surprisingly, it does and the really freaky part of this is you have to trust the drone that it will in deed follow you because you can't see it except from your phone or ipad. If the top was off then there isn't any problems. It was not liking being so close to the mountains and when the terrain got a little tight or steep it would automatically slide out away from the mountain and gain altitude by itself so it was keeping itself safe.

We had a great time with it and the drone worked great. Harrison is doing most of flying and he is getting better at it. He will try anything with it but I think thats because its not his dime he will be crashing.

This video is my first attempt to really edit a video and add music. I'm pretty proud of it even though its still rough. I will get better for sure.

[video=youtube;sKZbfxKJZIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZbfxKJZIY&t=76s[/video]

rholbrook

Thanks, now that I have some time at the controls and feeling more comfortable with it it's a lot of fun. I can't wait to get it to Moab and Lake Powell. I will be in the market for a Mavic like Gregs soon. Right now I am looking at something like a Yuneec Breeze or similar. They are really small, compact and you fly it with your phone so you have one less bulky thing to stow. I know the distance limitations but it will be used more for close follow me modes. I really want to film Dead Cow and the Tubes with one

Last edited:

rholbrook

I have been really enjoying my drone. We took it to Moab this last weekend and one of Harrison's buddy's came with us and threw this together really fast

I am am thinking about buying a smaller drone that I can take in a backpack that you fly with your phone. Something that will follow the phone. Thought about the Mavik but it's still a little quirky in the follow me mode and the controller is still a little big especially with the toggles. Mine is the same way. Follow me mode works good but it's following the controller which would be hard to keep on your chest while you are riding. I want it for riding

[video=youtube_share;l43lHquKkwQ]https://youtu.be/l43lHquKkwQ[/video]

neagtea

Supporting Member
Strong work
I need to get out and practice
Work, projects, and life has been slowing me down lately.