Disabling Traction Control ESP on a Jeep JK or JKU

rholbrook

Has anyone been successful in going through the steps using the steering wheel position and ESP button to temporarily or permanently disable the Traction Control? Snow wheeling sucks when it decides to takeover. Yes, I know there is a button on the dash but as soon as your wheels hit 30 mph it turns it back on. Jeep engineers set up a sequence of steps that you can go through using the steering wheel that disables ESP. I can do it for one cycle of the jeep running but if I turn the key off it resets. I know you are supposed to be able to permantly disable it until you go through the sequence again to reenable it again. If you are on exploring it would be nice to be able to turn it off until I was ready to get back on asphalt again

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A search turned this up... - http://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...lity-control-in-a-jeep-wrangler-jk-73484.html

1. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
2. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.
3. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
4. Turn ignition on (and optionally start engine to make turning the wheel easier – will work with or without engine running) and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
5. Turn the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly then release and wait for chime.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half turn to the left (counter clockwise).
8. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly, release and wait for chime.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to centre.
10. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
11. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wired in an interrupt switch on both of my JK's.
If you're interested in that route, just Google "ESP kill switch"

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
You only need a momentary switch like this one.

DC 36V 2A Off-(On) NO 16mm Screw Metal Flat Momentary Push Button Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q84P8C/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_TfOCyb3A4KR77
This right here. The ESP kill switch mod will work with a momentary switch. I wired mine with an on off switch but it didn't matter. The ESP garbage would remain off even if I flipped the switch again, until I shut it off and started it again.

It was honestly one of the best mods I did on that rig.
I wired in an interrupt switch on both of my JK's.
If you're interested in that route, just Google "ESP kill switch"

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

rholbrook

I would like to wire a kill switch and a switch for both lockers but I need to wait until my warranty is up I think. For now, doing the hokey pokey with the steering wheel will have to do for now. I would like to wire in a ground so I can use the lockers in 2 or 4 high. Anyone do that?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Like you, I was nervous to mod my first JK until the warranty was up. I waited until I had 36k miles on it. With my new JK, I installed the kill switch at 700 miles. It's a very simple mod. I haven't heard of a single issue from people who have done it, except a few who had a bad switch or damaged the switch with the soldering iron.