Experience with Torq Locker?

SSR

Has anyone here ran the Torq locker (1-ton version of Aussie) in thier front 60? Looks to be slightly different design from the typical lunchbox. I read somewhere there's no tire size limit on the 2-year warranty.

How about a Lock-Right or Spartan in a 60, will they hold up? Is one better than the other?

It will be going in frame stretched YJ, 38-40" tires, 80% trail with only occasional street.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
If you've ever seen the Torq in person, it's an amazing design. Like why-did-we-just-think-of-this level of amazing. I know the owners very well as they sponsor me and I know the reports they're getting back for the Torq have been great. I would suggest it very highly!
Lock-rite and Spartan are both limited by the pins in them, unlike the Torq.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think most people find the Spartan/Aussie/Lock Right lockers pretty reliable in the 60 sizes. Although the pins are what give up when anything does. The Torq looks like an improvement over those normal lunchbox lockers, so I wouldn't hesitate to try one out if I were in the market. :)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
After reading this: https://www.torqmasters.com/how_it_works
The Aussie Locker mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster
Seems like you just removed any kind of engine braking for downhill and have to use your brakes.
Also, make sure your parking brake works if you stop pointed downhill.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

They operate the same as any other lunchbox locker, just with interlocking pieces instead of pins.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
So downhill freewheeling is a characteristic of lunchbox lockers then?
I have no experience with them but not sure I'd care for that aspect.
They do look stout though.

N-Smooth

They operate the same in downhill situations as Detroits and other full-time lockers as well. Technically if you're going downhill and not applying gas, yes, one wheel can unlock. The only thing that doesn't operate that way is selectable lockers that act as a spool when engaged. And actual spools of course.

Hopefully that makes sense

Ashcat

This type, or any type of locker, spool, etc will not affect "downhill engine braking" no different than an open carrier. Automatic transmissions are another story ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've been running one since they prototyped it, and it has worked without flaw. Works just like a regular ol' lunchbox, because tha'ts what it. What's really, REALLY nice about it is the ability to install it without taking the shafts out. you'll need a long pin to get around a GM passenger-side spring perch to push the cross-shaft roll pin out, but that's no biggie. I have been beating on mine for a couple years now without incident.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The thing I don't like about the lunchbox lockers is how fast the dog clutch teeth round off and it begins to 'skip'. I've ran through 3 of them over the years, all the same result within a few years. You can flip them and get another year our of the teeth before they start slipping again but yea. For only couple hundred more I'd rather have a proper Detroit or whatever the yukon one is.

thenag

I had the same thoughts when I got my first lockrite. Instead of freewheeling maybe a better way to think of it is "loaded". When you have forward or reverse torque from the driveshaft it will engage both tires equally. So even low gear down a hill it will put power to both wheels. If you are coasting around a corner the outside wheel will go a little faster, that is the clicking you hear, the one side going faster. But if you are on the throttle around a corner both wheels will spin at the same rate. It is not like a simple ratchet that can spin freely one way but locks the other way.

I ran a lockrite in a front d60 under a full size bronco with a 460 and 37's. I broke a OEM 30 spline locking hub twice but never broke the lockrite. so if this is stronger than a lockrite it should hold up well.

As with any non-selectable locker a twin sticked t-case will make life much nicer. With the lockrite in 4wd the truck wants to go straight. With a twin stick it is easy to disengage the front output of the t-case then it drives like a 2wd even with the hubs locked. I have seen people just get out and unlock a hub between obstacles on the trail so that is an option too.

Nathan

B2-Bomber

For only couple hundred more I'd rather have a proper Detroit or whatever the yukon one is.

You mean the Yukon Grizzly locker.

But it's not "only a couple hundred more" for most people. Not when you factor in setting the gears up again. And the cost associated with that too. So if a person is intimidated by replacing a carrier, or unable to do so.

So for he average person, if the locker is $300 more, and the install is $600. That's a $900 increase, enough to be discouraged.

And for some differentials the Detroit/ Grizzly is a lunchbox style locker, For example the 14 bolt as i recall

Last edited: