Clever (or not?) garage organization ideas

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I realize this isn't Garage Journal (and it shouldn't be...there are some odd and amazing things on there) but my wife snagged a couple garage organization things for me for Christmas this year. Gecko toes. Just hung them up yesterday. They turned out very cool. My only potential issue with them is I might want them slightly wider to support the hose/cord a little more. They do seem totally fine.

y3moxxbA0b4SRrmVaPgZxCwpne_qo4hZwvGbrfet97UcL8e3Etwn6k1kiN48VriRUXtzRkIEpjbzC-Gv5JqGCEkTdas1OxaMSjSu_j3Mm4exm1RZYlzBuDkG9xFUBJxPtDwGH_7sG9fWYmodtKY4ko-nbs0NdN8nTtgUAkCS1_W3tM

This one for electrical cords,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KSLNK...UTF8&colid=LKD86L743KF1&coliid=I27BZURU2NAZ75

y3mma4YMK95AtQQEXvKUAmeiDr6YE2cahpYxTlRyWjwgjFeN92Gq_W1DnvcAIGUzjbYBGkdVagQ50xe_tNo9yKBDAtdNnlAprPkAc_avd5R7uJ_pAedhpwqval4s3gwvIVW5SPkZRdY1zmGC6JAlZAQj-5xarYqcPdgI4QpAfOKeaY

This one for my very well used and old air hose.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KTLF1...UTF8&colid=LKD86L743KF1&coliid=I11DH2NSDRGNO0

Since I moved to such a puny garage, I'm having to try to figure out some clever things (leading to me stealing ideas from posts on garage journal). Love to see anyone else's stuff posted up. I've done some pegboard in a couple spots. That's helped for things like drills and grinders and such. I've got another couple projects to complete (maybe tomorrow?) to stop having my flat surfaces be such junk collectors.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've been using the space between wall studs for shelving. It holds all my spray paint, nails, oils, etc. I'll grab some pics when I get home. It has made a ton of extra space, and keeps clutter to a minimum.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Suspended Shelving to utilize some of the 11' wall height
I'm 6' tall and can walk under them
Used all-thread rod. Welded a lag screw to an all-thread coupler, drove the screw into the bottom of the ceiling joist with an impact gun, then mounted the all-thread to it.
If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with 1" square metal tube instead of 2x4's

20170115_1517311_zpst04qak9k.jpg

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Did these a few years ago. 48 linear feet (2 shelves and 2 sections of 12' in an el) of 2' wide shelf space cost me about $200 and consumes no floor space.

Tonkaman

Suspended Shelving to utilize some of the 11' wall height
I'm 6' tall and can walk under them
Used all-thread rod. Welded a lag screw to an all-thread coupler, drove the screw into the bottom of the ceiling joist with an impact gun, then mounted the all-thread to it.
If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with 1" square metal tube instead of 2x4's

20170115_1517311_zpst04qak9k.jpg

For future reference you can buy a lag that is wood lag on one side and 3/8 thread on the other side. Just put a rod coupling on and thread in the rod.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I was just about to post this on the "what did you work on today" thread but this is the perfect thread for it. On my 3rd car side of my garage it is 35 feet deep with the last 14 feet being walled on 3 sides. Since my ceilings are 14 feet high and I am under 6 foot, I decided to truss in the back part and build a ramp so that I could do all the race bike work away from vehicles. I call it the NITB Racing loft. At about 200 square feet, it has worked well but as all things go, it is never enough space.

I have had plans for awhile to expand it and finally got around to doing it this weekend. It was all pretty simple, build a support post and pocket to accept the header truss and just put it all together. In all this addition netted me about another 120 sq ft of space. I still need to do the rail to keep things from falling on cars below.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've never seen those Gecko toes but thing they are neat. I may try and get my brother to model them in CAD and 3d print a few.

It looks like they are fairly deep, at least enough to be able to stick the power cord in a few times.

B2-Bomber

Go get yourself one of those
red hose reels, and you can use them for
every single hose, and cord you have in the
garage. The ones that harbor freight sells are
inexpensive, and work for the weekend warrior.
Some guys spend the money on one of the more expensive ones like
A Reelcraft brand. I remember seeing them on display somewhere but i
can't remember where. But i think it was
Hose & Rubber. But they're expensive.
I wouldn't even spend the money on them if i didn't have to. They're
like $300 per reel. A friend of mine has the harbor freight one and
doesn't hate it. And it really cleaned up his garage

Pike2350

I don't have a pic, but in a garage I used to have the walls had no drywall or anything on them. This allowed for great tall item storage in between the studs. I used the aluminum HVAC strap as a guard to keep it from falling over. This worked well for scrap wood, metal, etc.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My loft and jib hoist are two of my favorite garage storage additions.

A cheap HF ATV winch hooked to a lawnmower battery. I lift my seasonal yard equipment (snowblower/lawnmower) up there for storage. The two axles you can see were hoisted at the same time.
attachment.php

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Thank you to everyone. We have been in our new house a year now and I am starting to get the garage and shed squared away.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Also for those of you on Instagram, check out @_grays_anatomy_ He's not specifically "garage" organization but he builds some of the best tool storage and organization for fire trucks. A lot of his ideas could be used inside cabinets or on walls in your garage (or camp trailer). It's his personal as well as work account so you have to scroll through his account to find the best posts.

453070C7-86EE-4275-B6FF-4ED18BD3E552_zpsm4tvp6rz.png

016BA07D-E95B-430B-84F5-BC35530D3215_zpsxbtpsjus.png