Trail Buggy Class?

Coco

Any chance that a trail buggy class can be a possibility this year Craig/Brian? I know of several of my buddies that would love to come out and give competition a try, but they don't feel they would even have a chance competing against Jesse, Cody, or myself :)rolleyes::rofl:) I just was curious if it would be too much trouble to add that extra class, or if there was interest in adding that class?

Coco

Maybe separated by sidewall tire size? 37"+ one class and 36"- another?

I dont know if it would need to be a limit on equipment, most of the guys that are interested are on 40+" tires. Or do you mean making it like a Trail Buggy A, and Trail Buggy B class with a tire size difference, similar to WERock sportsman?

What I have been thinking, is they have to follow the same rules as Pro Mod or Unlimited, but they would be in a 'less competitive' class for lack of a better term. Make them run Pro Mod/Unlimited courses, just be with other trail type buggies. Not a fully built comp car, making that class competitive for everyone involved.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Gotcha. No I was more meaning; Pro buggy class = 37"+ would include the pro's; (Jesse, Cody, you) and then the trail buggy class (your interested buddies) would have to run smaller than 37's.

But looking back I would still even probably change it to 39"+= Pro class and then 38"-= trail class.

In my opinion (which means nothing) if your trail buggy buddies are running gear that pushes 40" tires then they should have to run with the big dogs class and courses and just have to work their skill level up to competition level, otherwise they are basically getting "participation prizes"

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I say make them run promod.... promod at old school is not that competitive of a class. If they are willing to run the lines the unlimited and promod guys already run it would be dumb to start another class. Tell them to put on there big girl panties and step up

cjncustoms

I say make them run promod.... promod at old school is not that competitive of a class. If they are willing to run the lines the unlimited and promod guys already run it would be dumb to start another class. Tell them to put on there big girl panties and step up

The lines are to tight for most trail buggies running full width axles and 109"+ wheelbase to be competitive with promods.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Colton took third in promod 2 years ago and his car had like 116" wheelbase and was basically full width with the worst turning angles I have ever seen.... if you want to be a competitive crawler, don't build a race car.

cjncustoms

Colton took third in promod 2 years ago and his car had like 116" wheelbase and was basically full width with the worst turning angles I have ever seen.... if you want to be a competitive crawler, don't build a race car.

Who has a racecar? I certainly don't. Can I race it? Sure. Can I comp crawl with it? Sure. But it definitely isn't dedicated to either one aspect of the sport. Plus OSRC is supposed to be "fun" for all. So why not let the larger trail buggies have their own class? Doesn't affect you whatsoever... It doesn't matter to me either way. I'm sure I'll end up racing and crawling anyways...

chevymog

The Reaper
What about 10000lb full-size on axletechs and 48"+ tires, can I just come play in between classes

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Coco

Gotcha. No I was more meaning; Pro buggy class = 37"+ would include the pro's; (Jesse, Cody, you) and then the trail buggy class (your interested buddies) would have to run smaller than 37's.

But looking back I would still even probably change it to 39"+= Pro class and then 38"-= trail class.

In my opinion (which means nothing) if your trail buggy buddies are running gear that pushes 40" tires then they should have to run with the big dogs class and courses and just have to work their skill level up to competition level, otherwise they are basically getting "participation prizes"

Good point. Yeah most of my buddies have big buggies on 40+ tires. When I wanted to do OSRC, I was hoping my car would have squeezed into Legends, but I am actually glad now that I made it into Pro Mod, as it just helped build skill, and learn quick. I see the point of participation trophies, but I also see there point against competing against the pros, but then again, that's how I had to get into it, baptism by fire! :)

Does legends not encompass "trail buggies"?

Legends is a full frame and a good portion of body class. All tube chassis rigs go to either pro mod or unlimited depending on how much frame is left if any.

What about 10000lb full-size on axletechs and 48"+ tires, can I just come play in between classes

The rig would fit in legends I think, and would be a good fit :)

zukijames

I agree with the trail buggy class.. A lot of guys with buggies that are not build for dodging cones.

Coco's rig had a 112? wb 63.5 wms to wms stock KP chevy 60 is 69.5 ish? 6 inches is a lot :)

Pro Mod is Limited to 40s isn't it? Coco did you have the drive line disconnect 2 years ago?

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 5.57.28 PM.png

Look at unlimited scores... 4 Pros and then several big trail rigs that had no business being there.. but wanted to go support a local event...

chevymog

The Reaper
Good point. Yeah most of my buddies have big buggies on 40+ tires. When I wanted to do OSRC, I was hoping my car would have squeezed into Legends, but I am actually glad now that I made it into Pro Mod, as it just helped build skill, and learn quick. I see the point of participation trophies, but I also see there point against competing against the pros, but then again, that's how I had to get into it, baptism by fire! :)

Legends is a full frame and a good portion of body class. All tube chassis rigs go to either pro mod or unlimited depending on how much frame is left if any.

The rig would fit in legends I think, and would be a good fit :)
If I have it together I'll enter, where ever I end up, or how ever many penalties I get

Coco

I agree with the trail buggy class.. A lot of guys with buggies that are not build for dodging cones.

Coco's rig had a 112? wb 63.5 wms to wms stock KP chevy 60 is 69.5 ish? 6 inches is a lot :)

Pro Mod is Limited to 40s isn't it? Coco did you have the drive line disconnect 2 years ago?

Yeah, I was around 112-113 in the end, still long for cone dodging, but still a ton of fun :D I have had the disconnect since the rig was built the first time. I knew at my length, I needed all the help I could get with tight turning, so I built it with the disconnect and cutting brakes, with the plan to compete. It worked great, but in the end I should have done what I am doing now, first. Playing with a standard trans, duals, etc it got busy and confusing at times (yes Nate and Ryan, you were right :)). Last OSRC, after I got off the tube, I had ~10 secs to finish, in the heat of the moment, I was trying to get turned around and get out the finish. between disengaging the disco, shifting to higher gears, and getting flustered, I timed out. IDK if I would have made it if I did do it all correct, but it definitely would have been closer. That was my bad. Vehicle length can help or hinder you in certain spots of comps, and trail wheeling. It's just what happens. Some courses my length hurt me (course 8) but others it helped (the vortex) its just what happens.

Pro Mod tire cap is 40".

Craig S

Commando
Thanks for all the great input on OSRC this year and the support last year! Lisa & I want everyone to have a good time Memorial weekend in Delta at the Proving Grounds. We will try to make any changes that make sense for everybody. We are looking at two new classes, the Trail Buggy and the Pro class. We were hoping that the Pro class would take all of the really built riggs with Pro type drivers and leave the other classes for the rest of the field. Another thing to consider is the rear steer cars. We currently have 6 points for the use of rear steer. Some drivers have voiced a concern that 6 points is too much of a penalty. OSRC is for the drivers and we want to find the blend that makes the most sense for the sport. Now is the time to let your voice be heard!

Dbmjinc

I think a trail buggy is exactly that. A trail buggy. If you run it on the trail, any wheelbase, tire size or width is ok. Last year I competed in osrc for the first time. Myself or my spotter had never competed ever. We had now idea what we were doing. We had a blast. The only thing I told him was I didn't want to come in last.
We ended up taking 5th in the unlimited class. The interesting part is we got beat by the pros who have "competition" purpose built non trail full on competition buggys. That was ok. My only complaint was, we need a class of our own. In my opinion I believe it will add more participation. The guys who know that can't beat guys like Jesse, Steve, and Cody will want to participate against other "trail buggys". I think a trail buggy class should be for the guys who #1 don't regularly compete in other competitions and #2 don't have full on purpose built competition buggys. Other than that, if you run it on the trail and want to compete against your friends you see on the trail, bring it and let's have some fun!