Transmission grinding only from 2 to 3

outdores

Hey All,

I have a manual 06 tacoma with 80,000 miles on it. A couple months ago my transmission started to grind a little only when I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. If I make sure that the clutch is 100% depressed and shift slowly, with a slight pause while in neutral, it shifts smoothly. I have noticed that before my truck has warmed up and it is cold out it will grind going from 2 to 3 gear no matter how well I have the clutch in. It does not grind going into any other gears including from 4th to 3rd. If I have the clutch all the way in and try to shift without a brief pause in neutral while going from 2nd to 3rd gear it always grinds. I checked the gear oil. It is clean and plenty full. What else could be the issue?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

outdores

That's what I was afraid of. How large of an undertaking would it be to fix on my own? Is there a lot to gain by fixing it right away or can I shift carefully until it gets a lot worse without causing a lot more damage?

That's what I was afraid of. How large of an undertaking would it be to fix on my own? Is there a lot to gain by fixing it right away or can I shift carefully until it gets a lot worse without causing a lot more damage?

I've got zero experience with Toyota, but in general: Rebuilding a manual transmission can be done by yourself, usually requiring a few specialty snap ring tools, a press, and the ability to measure end-play to get shims correct. Fixing later rather than sooner means you have to replace the gears, not just the synchros. Usually if you fix it sooner, you can get by with just the brass synchros, seals, and bearings.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I can't say much for your specific vehicle, but for many other vehicles that to this exact same thing it is almost NEVER the synchros.
The shifter box (the part that the shifter pivots in) will become loose or just need to be re-aligned front to back. Easy as that.

My own experience is split also. I've had this same symptom of grinding only one gear on 3 vehicles, a Jeep, a Ford, and a unimog. The jeep and the unimog turned out to be synchro worn and/or other clearances in the transmission getting out of spec, causing the synchro to not engage properly. The ford was the clutch not releasing enough. After replacing the clutch and slave cylinder, I found the clutch pedal pivot had excessive wear due to what I consider a design flaw. Replacing the pivot solved that one.

BoostedRNR

I would get a second opinion. A Toyota with that many miles shouldn't need synchros already unless the wrong oil got put in or somebody really sucks at driving a manual did a number on it

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I don't know anything about transmissions or later Tacomas in general, but earlier Toyotas do not like GL5 because it chews up the synchros. A true GL4 has fixed many a shifting problem in 3rd gen 4Runner/1st gen Tacoma and earlier trucks.