Hands-on training class for newly-licensed ham radio operators

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Are you new to the world of ham radio? Did you recently pass the Technician test and receive your call sign, only to be left scratching your head wondering what to do next? Have you had your license for a long time but you still haven't done anything with it? Maybe you even went and bought a cheap Baofeng handheld radio, but you haven't figured out how to use it? Perhaps you want to buy a mobile radio, but you're confused by all the technical mumbo jumbo such as the difference between a 1/4 wave antenna and a 1/2 wave antenna... and, besides, you hate fractions anyway.

Don't fret. Back in early December (on page 7 of our ham radio thread), Kevin and I first suggested getting together one evening for some casual instruction about the basics of ham radio, including figuring out how to use these fantastically cheap but outrageously frustrating Baofeng handhelds. While not a lot more was said in our thread, this idea was more recently introduced in the ExpeditionUtah forum, and a few guys there are very interested. I am by no means a ham radio expert, but I am always eager to share some knowledge and experience in order to help newcomers get started and become comfortable with their radios. To that end, I have held small group meetings with new hams on a few occasions to help them get going in the hobby... and I'm willing to do so again.

Kurt Williams has very graciously offered us the use of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum (470 W 600 S, SLC) as a location for the meeting. I took a trip there yesterday to try some radio testing, and I'm happy to report it would be a suitable location for this event. Based on my own schedule, I have tentatively decided on Thursday, February 9th as the date. My initial thought was to begin at 7pm, but I am considering making a slight change (perhaps to 6:30, for example) if it would be helpful to any of the attendees.

As a reminder, this is not a class to help you study for and pass a license test (though, of course, many things we discuss will have been mentioned in the test questions). Instead, my goal is to help you begin to use the license you've already earned. A few of my planned topics for the meeting include:
- reviewing some of the basic rules of operation
- a few thoughts on radio etiquette
- some popular jargon and what it all means in plain English
- simplex verses duplex operation (ie, using repeaters)
- pros and cons of various radio hardware (with an emphasis on antennas)
- how to program the radio you already have
- actual practice at making radio contacts with your radio
- useful web sites for information you'll want/need

There will be no A/V equipment there, so don't expect any fancy PowerPoint presentations. :p I'm not going to mimic a boring college professor who endlessly drones on and on, so don't expect that, either. Instead, this will simply be a casual group discussion that I'll happen to lead--no stress, and there will be no tests. My only hope is that you'll walk out the door with more knowledge and radio experience than you had before you showed up. :)

So, would anybody here like to join the group?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm currently studying for the test. Can I plan on attending to learn more on the topics you listed?

Certainly. I don't view a ham license as a requirement to attend, although not having one will obviously prevent you from being able to transmit solo. (The FCC allows third party communication, which would help us get around your lack of a license if you want to gain some radio experience.)

To that end, there is a test session tomorrow in Taylorsville. There is also one on Tuesday the 31st in South Salt Lake. If you successfully pass either one, the FCC should have enough time to issue you a call sign by the time we meet on the 9th. ;)

More testing info here: https://hamstudy.org/sessions

I'll bring a Baofeng or two.

Great! Which exact model(s) do you have?

I FORGOT TO ASK YOU ALL: If you want to attend, please let me know your call sign and also which exact radio equipment (including upgraded antennas, if applicable) you own. I want to be prepared to help every attendee, so I am making a list of this information. I might not be able to do that if I don't know in advance what hardware you're using.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have the UV-82 model. I have the stock rubber duck antenna, as well as a Nagoya longer whip. (Ebay cheap Nagoya, so I'm sure it's a knockoff)

KI7JNS is me. :)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Gonna do my best to attend. I don't have my license yet, still studying but I have already purchase a Baofeng UV-5R V2+

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
This sounds like a great idea, at my kind of place. I'll put it on my schedule.

I found your call sign, John. What radio equipment do you have?

Gonna do my best to attend. I don't have my license yet, still studying but I have already purchase a Baofeng UV-5R V2+

That would be great to see you there, Josh. I know you're extremely familiar with using 2-way radios (duh), but I hope I can share some info that might be helpful to you.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll see if I can make it happen, I think I can work a half-day on Thursday and drive up that afternoon.

I have a Baofeng UV-82 as well.... no HAM license yet.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Are you required to have a ham radio license in order to attend? No. However, I believe you'll get much more out of this event if you've already studied for and passed your Technician license exam. If you want to have your license, there's even time to pass the test before our class--there is a test session on Tuesday the 31st in South Salt Lake. Once you successfully pass that night's test, the FCC should have enough time to issue you a call sign by the time we meet on the 9th. I think you need to pre-register for this test; follow this link for more info: https://hamstudy.org/sessions

If you haven't used it already, www.HamStudy.org is a fantastic web site to help you learn the questions to pass the test. Go there, set up an account (so it can track your results and help you better learn the material), and choose study flash cards. At the top, click the all questions drop down menu and select T1. Study that set until you've seen all the questions and your aptitude is 93% or more. Next, choose section T2 and repeat. Do this until you've mastered every individual section. After that, go back to the main page, choose practice test, and start taking tests. Once you can consistently pass a test with over 90% correct (and it shouldn't take long if you've mastered all the sub element sections), you should be ready to pass the real thing.

Are you required to have a ham radio in order to attend? No. But again, I definitely think you'll get a lot more out of this if you've got a radio to start using right then and there. There is plenty of time to surf over to Amazon and buy a cheap Baofeng UV-5R radio (for example) before our session. Oh: if you do decide to buy a Baofeng dual band radio, I strongly recommend you spend an extra $17 and pick up a Nagoya NA-771 antenna at the same time (but I suggest you only buy it from Amazon seller Baofeng and nobody else).

ATTENDEES SHOULD BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:

- their fully-charged handheld ham radio plus any upgraded antennas
- a way to take notes, be it old school paper & pen or something electronic
- a smartphone/tablet/laptop computer would be extremely beneficial**

**: Kurt has told me there is no wi-fi at the museum. As such, any device you bring should have 3G/4G capability in order to see the relevant web info I plan to share. (For the record, I plan to bring my laptop computer even though it doesn't have 3G capability just so I can demonstrate something else.)

POSSIBLE TIME CHANGE

Dave (moab_cj5) is going to be on a tight schedule. I knew this up front, which is why I hinted that we may begin at 6:30pm rather than 7pm. Is that okay with the group? If so, I'm going to dictate we begin at 6:30 instead. If your schedule won't allow you to show up by 6:30 but you can be there at 7:00, let me know.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Co-worker: What are you doing?

Me: Studying for my Ham License.

Co-worker sent this in response..... not much support

66240979.jpg

Kevin B.

Big hippy
No, it's ok cuz we don't have "ham shacks" or antennas on the roof so we're not real hams.

The regulars on 146.620 say we're not, anyway. I hope they're right.

DaveN

This is my RSVP, as long as I can bring my well-behaved 7 year old son (mom works that night). I'm studying now and will try to have passed the test by then. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Co-worker sent this in response..... not much support

This is simply the rawest form of envy. Pay it no mind.

... so we're not real hams.

The regulars on 146.620 say we're not, anyway.

As we'll discuss, being a "ham" can mean a great many things. Don't let anybody tell you that you aren't legit if you don't do <insert specific thing here>.

I'm studying now and will try to have passed the test by then.

Do you already have a radio, Dave?

DaveN

Do you already have a radio, Dave?[/QUOTE]

Yes, an el cheapo Baofeng used on a trip recently on a simplex channel.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk