Wanted 24ft+ Enclosed trailer

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
As I mentioned in my Tacoma for sale thread in the not too distant future I'm going to be building a new home. That is going to involve moving and storing a lot of stuff for about a year. A co-worker let me in on a brilliant idea he used when he did the same. Instead of renting a uhaul, and paying for a storage unit. He purchased a large enclosed trailer used it to move and store his stuff during construction then sold it (for a profit) when he was done.

I thought this was brilliant as it will save me money all around, even if I take a small loss on the trailer after a year it will still be cheaper than renting a storage unit.

So long story short I'm looking for a 24 foot+ enclosed trailer if you or someone you know has one for sale or for sale soon. I don't need anything fancy, just a water tight roof and reasonably clean. Low deck height and ramp on the rear are preferable.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Strangely enough, I'm going to sell my 24 foot enclosed to go a bit larger. It's a 2015 and immaculate. If you're just going to use it for storage, it's probably overkill for your needs.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My cousin did the same thing. Then the trailer got stolen. They lost all of their important items (photo's, journals, etc) Insurance covered the big items, but nothing can replace the personal items. The trailer was recovered, but had been trashed. My point to this is to make sure you have everything VERY secure and locked up. Make it very difficult for someone to take your trailer..

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Strangely enough, I'm going to sell my 24 foot enclosed to go a bit larger. It's a 2015 and immaculate. If you're just going to use it for storage, it's probably overkill for your needs.

Overkill and good shape are great as it will help resell, PM the details. Not in a big hurry have until March before i'll need to purchase.

My cousin did the same thing. Then the trailer got stolen. They lost all of their important items (photo's, journals, etc) Insurance covered the big items, but nothing can replace the personal items. The trailer was recovered, but had been trashed. My point to this is to make sure you have everything VERY secure and locked up. Make it very difficult for someone to take your trailer..

This is a major concern of mine, but I have a secure location to store and it will likely remain attached to my truck for most of the storage time.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Several years ago I bought a 28 foot enclosed trailer to haul furniture back from our factory in Mexico. We bought it straight from the haulmark factory in Texas and saved a bunch of money that way. With some phone calls that might work for you too.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So i'm not having a lot of luck finding used trailers. After reading tons of reviews about these off brand trailers i'm pretty much settled on buying one of the brands I know, haulmark or wells cargo.

Wondering everyones opinion if you were looking to buy a used trailer would you be willing to fork over an extra 2-3k for aluminum frame and nicer interior finish (vinyl vs plywood walls and ceiling) I'm having a difficult time finding the curb weight of these aluminum to compare to the steel. The nicer interior is great for my purpose, but wondering if average user hauling cars, utv's, etc etc is going to want to shell out the money for aluminum and nicer insides

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've been having this same debate with myself. From what I've seen, the weight difference is less than 1000 pounds on the 26-28 foot models I'm looking at. The added price might pay for itself, if say I towed with it daily. That won't be the case, so I'm not going to pay the Alumi-tax.

I like the plywood interior. Just a coat of paint and it looks great. The vinyl walls and ceiling is another extra ($500-700) that I'm trying to avoid, but I may have to take that if the right trailer comes along.

Just throwing it out there, but for simple, cheap, secure storage, it is hard to beat an old semi-trailer. Might be a bit harder to move around, but the space is immense. I have an old double-drop moving van that I use for storage. Even in a storage place, much cheaper than an actual storage unit, and a huge space.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I will be picking up my second trailer next week that I had custom made by Double R. NOTHING!!! compares to their to there trailers. Most offer a 4-5" C channel for a frame, Double R is a 10" C channel for the same type. Yep, you will pay a bit more, but I'll still be using mine when yours is... trashed.
http://doublertrailers.com/

Just some input :D

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've been having this same debate with myself. From what I've seen, the weight difference is less than 1000 pounds on the 26-28 foot models I'm looking at. The added price might pay for itself, if say I towed with it daily. That won't be the case, so I'm not going to pay the Alumi-tax.

I like the plywood interior. Just a coat of paint and it looks great. The vinyl walls and ceiling is another extra ($500-700) that I'm trying to avoid, but I may have to take that if the right trailer comes along.

Did you get my PM? never got pics of yours

Just throwing it out there, but for simple, cheap, secure storage, it is hard to beat an old semi-trailer. Might be a bit harder to move around, but the space is immense. I have an old double-drop moving van that I use for storage. Even in a storage place, much cheaper than an actual storage unit, and a huge space.

Moving it around is the issue, also storage, but yes it would be great if I had the resources for it

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I will be picking up my second trailer next week that I had custom made by Double R. NOTHING!!! compares to their to there trailers. Most offer a 4-5" C channel for a frame, Double R is a 10" C channel for the same type. Yep, you will pay a bit more, but I'll still be using mine when yours is... trashed.
http://doublertrailers.com/

Just some input :D

Those look way nicer than the other garbage i've looked at. What did you order and if you don't mind me asking what was the cost?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
If you've got a permanent spot, a conex container would be great. Then would continue to be an awesome shed.. Pretty cheap also.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Those look way nicer than the other garbage i've looked at. What did you order and if you don't mind me asking what was the cost?

My list is way too long to list on what I did :rofl:But, I did order a 28' All Sport trailer that started at $10,500.00

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Heard back from Double R, they quoted me $9095 for a 24' hauler with 10k GVW +$720 for 7' height

I think if this was something I was planning to keep that would definitely be the route I would go. Not sure Joe KSL shopper is going to recognize/want to pay for the added cost. My goal is something with the most quality for the buck that will easily resell in about 1 year and keep my stuff dry.

Company I previously drove for used wells cargo and haulmark for small truck cargo conversions, we beat the hell out of them and they held up well which is why I lean towards them. I've owned a 6x10 interstate trailer that I was pleased with but i'm not seeing many of those, especially in the 24'+ range

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Tongue pull or goose neck?

It would be nice to load the rigs up and keep them dry. (Especially after W4x4J... )

I went with the tongue, it will hold 2 atvs, 2 side by side and two motorcycles. Great for the son and I for a week stay. It will have most of the conveniences of my fifth wheel.