Vehicle Build: 1st Gen Tundra

Rocksy

As she sits:
dbee45ccda40e6e591228dd820a89294.jpg

Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Tundra Access cab, 4x4
4.7l v8
Auto trans
Mileage: 196k. I am confident that I will get another 200k out of this 4.7 with VVT

-Current mods: slightly larger than stock 265/75r16 General Grabber AT2
-cheap Walmart CB
-diff breather relocation
-OME Lift w/ LR UCA
-debadge
-TG 84" weld on sliders
-diff drop
-ebay snorkel
-TG wheel spacers
Near future plans (likely within 6 mo.)
-Homemade high clearance rear bumper. Still deciding if I want to build a swing out.

More distant plans:
-Winch plate bumper (probably homemade)
-35s
-Front and rear lockers, for sure rear, front would be more for strengthening front end. most likely going with ARB
-regearing for 35s
-IFS,Tranny,t-case skids.
-bed stiffeners
-

I really like the truck because of the v8, and the larger bed size. I don't know if I would prefer this or a doublecab Tacoma but this is what I've got and it's just as buildable as a 1st gen Tacoma imo just with less aftermarket support.

My main goal for this vehicle is more of the expedition type of traveling. I still want it to be capable of Hole in the Rock and the Rubicon but otherwise I will be doing expeditions and it'll be my daily driver.
Trying to keep weight down, MPGs up, but still want a rig capable of crawling a little bit.

Last edited:

dutchman

KI7KSV
Sounds like a good rig. I've been looking at maybe getting one of these recently. To echo Kevin, the mileage shouldn't be an issue.

Rocksy

Here's a few pics from a trip to White Rim last April. The only thing that has changed is a significant tear in the steel on the rear bumper cover that happened in a rear end collision between me and my buddy's vehicle (the passport in the picture).
IMG_0686.jpgIMG_0840.jpg
I'll be starting the the sliders within a month hopefully. I know that I'm going to used 2x2 1/4" square tubing. I'm still debating whether I want to do weld on or bolt on. I'm leaning more towards bolt on. That way I can make some pretty beefy brackets and using grade 8 hardware it'll be just as strong as if not stronger than weld on.
Any tips you guys have for a relatively new fabricator? My tools are pretty much limited to my welder and angle grinder and my skills are just about there as well so any help you guys have is welcome.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I bolted my sliders on my Tacoma and there was plenty of places to put a large diameter bolt through the frame, probably similar on the Tundra. Steve didn't like the bolts or the sliders and replaced with welded on sliders. I'm not sure if one is better than the other, comes down to preference. One item I'd watch for is to make sure your sliders stick out far enough, at least make sure they stick out enough so if you have a short wife she can use it as a step ;) .

Rocksy

I plan for thme to stick out 3/5 inches. Probably close to 5 because I will have the attachments from the main rail to the outer rail be 3 inches long most likely plus the width of the outer tube making it about 5. My only concern is if the rails are going to be able to come out directly from the frame. Meaning, I don't want to have to cut the attachment's that go from main rail --> frame at an angle. That just makes the whole process longer because I have to cut them all at an angle but I guess I would do it if necessary

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If you need a hand let me know, I've done a few sets of them but that doesn't mean I know what I'm doing... ;) I've never had to angle any of the ones I did.

Rocksy

I'll definitely hit you up if needed since you appear to be close by. My main concern with the project is that it will be my first ever major fab project and I don't know how much confidence I have in my welds and ability to consistently cut with an angle grinder haha. I'll keep the thread updated on that.
Here's another pic. I forgot to mention that I blacked out the chrome on the grill, bumper, and sideview mirrors because I hate chrome and it had begun to chip. This and wheel paint are the only purely aesthetic mods I think I'll do because it's already got some pinstriping from trees and what not whilst car camping and I've never put form over function anyways20160406_134947 (1).jpg.

Rocksy

Whoa, those prices are really good. That's about the same price it would be to make my own and I've heard great stuff about TG sliders. I think I'll get those and have someone notch me some 2 more arms so I can have 4 on each side, then I'll build some diamond shaped scab plates w/ guessets and then weld that to the frame. Thanks for that idea. You've flipped a switch in my head lol

Rocksy

I have ordered all suspension parts for the truck, should have received them all in the next few weeks so lots of big things to come.
On the front end, I'm doing new tie rod ends and LBJs. I want to do LCA bushings as well. My only caveat is the issue with the cam adjuster bolts being seized to the sleeve. I had it aligned about 4 months ago and they didn't have a problem aligning it so I'm assuming they will be okay but I would like to know the likelihood of me needing new adjuster bolts and sleeves. Or, if I should even replace the bushings (although, I'm pretty sure I should they have 180k on them) any and all input is welcome!

Rocksy

Crappy cell pic for now but I've got everything I'm doing as far as suspension goes. 20170222_201508.jpg
OME 90004 front shocks mounted with 2886 coils
OME 60091 rear shocks
Lowrange 2" add-a-leaf
LR/SPC UCA
Lowrange diff drop
New tie rod ends by MAS Chassis
New LBJ (factory)

still waiting on the U Bolt flip kit from Wheeler's but I'm going to get started on everything else tomorrow.

I'm also going to paint the wheels and the chrome door trim while I'm at it.

TG Weld On slider kit was also ordered from Lowrange last week.

Rocksy

Small update: It took me about 7 hours to get the small adapter for the LR UCAs pressed in to the spindle. With that being said, after 2 consecutive late nights, all I have to show for it is one UCA installed. Tonight I got the factory strut out and as I went to put my OME one in, it doesn't quite fit in the coil bucket. The distance between the studs on top of the OME strut is about 1/8 inch larger than the stock ones. Also, with the strut aligned to go in the holes on the coil bucket(still can't get them through) the lower part of the shock body is not at the correct angle to go in the lower shock mount. I'm sure a call down to Cruiser Outfitters and probably a trip down there with one stock strut and the OME struts will remedy the situation. Tomorrow will be a big day as I'll be trying to get everything else done besides the front struts.

Here's a pic of what eventually got the LR/SPC insert into the spindle. Harbor Freight ball joint press + ratchet straps to hold the spindle in place + massive pipe wrench. 20170225_113737.jpg

Rocksy

Dang, that's a rough start. What was making the adapter so hard to press in?

To be honest, I think it was a combination of a lack of proper tools for the first two hours, then a lack of strength on my part, haha. Once I got a buddy to come over and help yank on the pipe wrench we got it in within an hour.
I'm hoping the outer diameter of the insert for the other side is a bit smaller, making it easier to press in. Even if that isn't the case, the other side should take maybe an hour because I now have the proper tools and knowledge to do it a bit quicker.

Today was a little bit more productive. I've got the one control arm in, both struts removed, both ball joints in and the tie rod ends in on one side. I ran into another 2+ hour detour that slowed me down significantly today which was the LBJ cotter pins. There wasn't enough of the pin sticking out to grab onto with any tool, so I wrestled with them for about an hour. After all hope of getting them out was lost, I realized that I was replacing the whole LBJ piece entirely so I drilled the pins out and finally got the ball joints out. I'm hoping that I can get the strut issue worked out tomorrow so I can be completely done tomorrow night. Will update with progress