Fixing great grandpa's knife

outdores

I know there are some fabricators on here. I would like to find someone to fix a knife. My great grandpa made it out of parts from a b52 bomber cockpit. My grandpa used it as a hunting knife while he was alive until it broke. Before he died he passed it to me. The blade is steel; the finger guard is brass. I assume that the "bone" in the middle of the handle is steel.

I cannot figure out how to get pictures posted on here. The main issue is that there is not much steel where the blade meets the first her guard. The steel obviously cannot be welded to the brass, but I wonder about drilling through the brass to the rod in the middle of the handle that I think is steel then some how weld or otherwise attach the two steel sections.

Does anyone think they can fix this or point me in the way of someone who could? I have had a couple.machine shops look at it. None felt it was worth their time.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Can't make it out from the picture, but would you be able to retrieve the broken piece out of the handle? I have a friend thats been doing blacksmithing stuff, wonder if you'd be able to join the two pieces again if it could be extracted

StrobeNGH

no user title
If there's a tang in the handle, does the tang go through the entire handle? Can you post a picture of the pommel?

Will the knife see hard work, or do you just want it fixed to be displ

outdores

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. The bone piece cannot be removed without taking apart the handle, which I don't want to take the chance doing. The tang is really small and thin.

I was hoping to make it usable, but it seems like that is unlikely. I will probably tack it together or JB weld it then put it and it's sheath in a shadow box for display.