Help! Transfer case issue!

Buck_Wilder

Hi everyone, this is my first time ever trying to post on a forum.. hoping it works out well. So I have what you could consider a Frankenstein square body. K10 body/chassis, 1 ton rear and 3/4 ton front axle. 350sb, th350 trans and a k20 transfer case (not sure exact model).

My issue I can't seem to solve through research and have not had time to go and investigate on my own is that my transfer case is now extremely hard to shift and the hubs seem to be locked up.. everything was fine until I loaded it on a trailer using 4 low. (I didn't use ramps I just climbed on) for clearance I had to take the front tires off (37"s) and use my other 33"s to fit.

c96fc1956702688d52844a3d63eb8517.jpg

( my first mistake, different size wheels in 4x4). Everything went smooth until I unloaded it they would chirp and skid (on pavement now at my destination.. 2nd mistake) and I could not get it out of 4 low.
After a while of shifting from reverse, neutral and drive, I wiggled it back to 2 wheel but still had the issue so I just removed the front driveshaft right there so I could move the truck around. Since then I have not tried shifting it and have not had time to check the hubs. Could this have been a linkage issue from the stress binding something up? Or a bigger internal issue? If this has happened to anyone before or you know what went wrong it would be great to explain and send me in the right direction before I tackle it myself and possibly go wrong somewhere. Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you didn't hear any suspicious noises (bangs/pops), then good chance everything was just bound up because of the different tire sizes. In that case, it should all shift nicely now that the driveshaft has been removed.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Yea difference in tire size causes things to bind, basically your back tires have a circumference of 232.48" and fronts have a circumference of 201.06" (thanks google!) and you're driving both at the same rate so there's 31" of difference it has to overcome with the same number of rotations. To be honest I'm surprised you didn't break something. At this point with the hubs unlocked and front driveshaft off I'd see if it shifts normally now. If it shifts in 4hi/4lo/2hi normally you are probably OK.

Bart

Did you just buy this? You may want to check the gearing in your diffs. I bought a K20 once and didn't check 4x4. The first time I put it in 4wd it did the same thing, only I had the same size tires. Found out the diffs had different gearing. At that time it was cheaper to buy a different axle from All Truck than to have mine re-geared. It was my first axle swap.

Buck_Wilder

I have had the truck for a while and have been rebuilding it and this is my first issue I've had with 4 wheel. Thanks for clearing it up for me, this weekend I'll try shifting it and see what it does and hopefully put it back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk