Steering help.

Omgbecki

Hey guys I'm having a hard time figuring out which ball joints are in my steering. I was told a few years ago that they are Chevy one tons. Getting ready for EJS and chasing down this death wobble. Tires are good and balanced so now the inbetween stuff.

AaronPaige

If it's all been changed to after market, take pictures and maybe some one will recognize what you need, but if there not loose try the track bar first

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Did you ever check your track bar? Most death wobble in TJs is from the track bar. A tiny amount of play in the track bar will cause death wobble. Death wobble is scary and if this is mild and doesn't make you crap your pants it is probably not death wobble :)

If it is a regular wobble at specific speeds I would check for a balanced driveshaft next since you already checked tire balance.

If they are chevy 1-ton tie rod ends then any chevy 1-ton end will work. The links that were posted in your last thread are probably the ones you need. If you can't make that work, then go to Autozone. Say I need steering tie rod ends for a 1986 chevy 3500 SRW. DO NOT ask for ball joints. That will be the part that connects knuckles together and not the steering parts.

You could always pull your tie rod and take it in with you and compare.

Last edited:

Omgbecki

Thanks guys. Yeah the track bar is my next place I'm going. I have heim ( spelt wrong )? Joints on both ends of the track bar and going to take it to a off-road place to identify them.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Thanks guys. Yeah the track bar is my next place I'm going. I have heim ( spelt wrong )? Joints on both ends of the track bar and going to take it to a off-road place to identify them.

While you are looking laying on the ground looking at your track bar joints have some one urn the tires back and forth. You should be able to see any play in the joints. The bolt could be too small or the heim could be getting worn out. Heims aren't too expensive and can identified by the shaft size the and the size of bolt going through the heim.