Sand Hollow area trails

Clark Collins

Hi! I am Clark Collins, founder of the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC), and my brother & I & our wives are planning on doing some trails in the Sand Hollow area near St. George. We will be on our way to Pirate Cove near Needles for the 30th anniversary of BRC event. We will be motorhome camping and pulling our Jeeps for off-roading. Mine is a moderately built 2010 JKU geared for 35s with lockers, but his is a 2003 liberty with a lift on 31s with no lockers. His will obviously be the limiting factor on what trails we can do.

We will be arriving in the area on the 2/19 and departing 2/22. I've checked out the information you have on the trails in this area and have a few questions. Coming through the town of Washington to the Washington Dam Trailhead is there room to camp at the trailhead or nearby? You have maps posted with trail names, are there trail signs with those names on them? I can see from the trail ratings you have on those maps that we shouldn't try some of the higher rated trails. Do you have any suggestions for 2 day's worth of trails that we should do?

Please reply to my personal e-mail clark.collins@hotmail.com rather than a PM on this forum as I don't check in that often.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Plenty of room to park a motorhome. Immediately before you go under the underpass I've seen 5-6 big toyhaulers parked at once. Then after you go through the underpass it opens up quite a bit, but the road is a lot tougher, so depending on your setup you may not want to go that far in. You can scout it out pretty easily as long as you get there in the daylight.

Trails are marked out pretty good, but you'll want GPS of some sort if you're aren't with someone that knows the trail your running. Some trails aren't super obvious where to go, even with markers.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Most trails have large metal signs marking them at the trail heads. You might want to check out Utah public land alliance or Desert roads and trails society facebook or websites as most locals are there. West rim would be a good start. It would have easier lines for your friend and harder lines for you and easy to access from the Washington Dam staging area. Plan B is another good option for that.

Last edited: