Duramax smoking at idle

chicken77

throttle jockey
With my 2003 GMC having nearly 190k miles it had started to smoke badly at idle. After doing my research I learned that this is a very common problem and is caused by faulty and or aged injectors. So I started pricing new and remand injectors, they ranged in price from Holy Crap to you must be kidding. So then I started researching a replacement truck and decided that maybe the prices of injectors were not that bad ha ha. So I settled for some middle of the road injectors with good reviews on Ebay and ordered them. After doing more research I decided that I could change them myself and started on a Friday morning at 7:30am, I took the wheels and tires off and inner fender wells. My truck has an 8" lift so I needed to get it closer to the ground. After taking nearly the entire wiring harness off I was down to the valve covers and ready to start accessing the injectors. At about 4pm I was able to remove my first injector and was greeted with this.....
Injector.jpg
I do not know how this truck was even running, I had 3 more injectors that were in similar condition. I pulled the fuel supply lines and cleaned them but they were in good shape, I have changed the fuel filter 3 times since I have owned the truck and it has never been dirty. Before I owned this truck it was used as a construction truck and I believe that it was neglected.

In total it took about 15 hours to do the injector replacement, and the only issue after startup was a leak at the common rail. I have only driven the truck about 20 miles since replacement and no smoke at idle! The truck is running great and should have more power and better mileage....... We shall see, heading to Moab on Friday.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Out of curiosity, what did the 'middle of the road' Ebay injectors cost? I've heard injector replacement on a Duramax costs a few thousand dollars, curious to know what your DIY method came in at.

Bart

I admire you for tackling that job. I paid close to $4500 to have my injectors replaced and that was as cheap as I could find. Glad it all turned out well.

chicken77

throttle jockey
I spent about $1450.00 on injectors, I found some at $900 and others like Industrial Injection are around $3000.00. After coolant, ultra grey sealant, and other miscellaneous items I am right at $1600.00 all said and done.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Out of curiosity, what did the 'middle of the road' Ebay injectors cost? I've heard injector replacement on a Duramax costs a few thousand dollars, curious to know what your DIY method came in at.

I admire you for tackling that job. I paid close to $4500 to have my injectors replaced and that was as cheap as I could find. Glad it all turned out well.

Exactly! Good work

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I spent about $1450.00 on injectors, I found some at $900 and others like Industrial Injection are around $3000.00. After coolant, ultra grey sealant, and other miscellaneous items I am right at $1600.00 all said and done.

That's not bad at all, considering the other options! Congrats for being able & willing to tackle the work on your own!

chicken77

throttle jockey
I'm now 7xx miles in with no issues, so it must be okay. I'm going to pull the truck and trailer to the dunes on Saturday so if you see a white GMC pulling a red and white Toyota on the side of the road stop and say hi...........

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
And this is why I went to a Cummins. only 6 injectors and not a lot of crap in the way.

Glad you could get it done. I remember having to do it to my 6.0 Ford. It was a total nightmare. On of my neighbors wanted me to do his on his Duramax. I referred him to Bakers Diesel injection, it was winter and his truck wouldn't fit in my garage. They did the whole thing for $3500.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
When I rebuilt my 6.7 last fall I paid $295 per injector for rebuilt stock injector from Industrial Injection. If I wanted to go to the 60hp injectors they would have been $325 per injector.