Help flood victims in Montello...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I mentioned on ExUt that I'd like to go check out the damage in montello, and Kevin being the good guy he is suggested that we take some supplies to the people out there.
I like the idea of helping them. I thought I could contact the local church and see what plans they have and what help they need.
I would try to plan for this Sunday.
Would anybody be interested in getting together and making a supplies delivery?
I would imagine water, food, and toiletries would be needed.

Tonkaman

Sunday like two days from now? I have a cousin down there I could call if you need for recon.

You thinking down and back on Sunday?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Sunday like two days from now? I have a cousin down there I could call if you need for recon.

You thinking down and back on Sunday?

Yeah, spend some time shopping tomorrow, head out sunday morning, back sunday evening.
The road North of town is washed out and closed, the road south of town is covered in water and closed. The police have asked for a volunteer evacuation, so I imagine the road south is still passable. We would have to also work with the sheriff for permission to go towards town.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm in. I have no money and no contacts but I'm happy to put in a tank of gas to take stuff out if we can get a collection going. I'm willing to spend some time ferrying folks around the semi-passable roads and helping them evacuate too, if the county wants our help.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
When we say "supplies" what are we talking about? What do people need?

It seem like we have enough interest, I will call the locals in the morning and see what they say.

I would imagine water, food, and toiletries would be needed.

I would also think that some shoveling or sand bagging would help?

From google and youtube, it seems these guys get flooded every few years.. Usually just rain, not a whole freaking reservoir though.

DAA

I've driven past that damn a whole bunch of times. It's on the Winecup-Gamble ranch just off the Thousand Springs road. It was not much of a damn. More like a big stock tank, than a reservoir, really. Absolutely stunning that much water could have come from it! There is a much bigger damn and reservoir, closer to town. Crittendon, which is GREAT fishing, but became private about fifteen years ago so I haven't fished there in that long. But when I first heard about this flood I thought it must be Crittendon that broke and a mistake when they were saying it was 21 mile that had broken.

Spent half a day once in what at the time was the only bar and only business still open in Montello, waiting for a tow truck. Think I met about 90% of the population that day, seems I was sort of like "news" (I'd had to walk two days to get there and the sheriff hung out with me waiting on the tow truck...). The thing I know they would have appreciated that day, though there was no flood, would have been a case of cigarettes. There weren't any for sale in town, but it seemed like every citizen smoked them and they were all rolling their own. People pulling out rolling papers left and right. I had a friend waiting back at my truck that smoked so when the tow truck arrived I asked about buying a pack. Couldn't be had, in the whole town. But some lady said to hold on she'd go ask somebody else and came back with another lady that gave me five cigarettes to take to my buddy. Nice folks.

Two bars have been open in recent years. And they've had working gas pumps too. And cigarettes. Place has been a lot more prosperous in recent years, than it used to be. Hope they bounce back.

Unless I can get a lot more done today, than I think I will, I'm probably not up for tomorrow. But I'll keep an eye on this thread, just in case.

- DAA

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have not been able to each anyone from the church in Montello.
I have talked with the Elko Sheriffs office. They are in their own planning phase, and were not sure when or what they would need. They took my information, and said they would give me a call when they had a need or information to share. I emphasized our off-road abilities, capable vehicles, and know-how. I asked specifically about Montello, and they said as of right now it is 'not even a possibility' to make a trip to them.
I could here about a million people and phones going off in the background. It sounded like a lot of chaos.

DAA

I don't think there is an LDS church in the vicinity. There is a shack with a cross that I believe is a church a short distance south of town on the east side of the highway. Not sure what kind it is though.

- DAA

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't think there is an LDS church in the vicinity. There is a shack with a cross that I believe is a church a short distance south of town on the east side of the highway. Not sure what kind it is though.

- DAA

I used the meeting house locator and found the branch president info for Montello.. There is a tiny little meeting house with a blue metal according to the map image. Looks like there is one in Wells also.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I was thinking about this last night. The evacuation isn't mandatory, and there's not a ton of people up there anyway. I bet everyone that's pulled out has been sent to a cheap hotel in Wells or Wendover as opposed to filling an elementary school gym or church meeting hall somewhere.