Preferred cutoff methods and preferred brands

redrussell

Been browsing around and didn't find anything so I thought I would start one. What are peoples preferred methods for cutting stuff? I have a plasma but it only cuts 1/4" cleanly. It is quick and pretty clean(when all goes well). It has its drawbacks; initial cost of machine, 220 if you don't already have it and then your consumables. Then electric grinders with cutoff wheels, Pneumatic cutoff tools, portable band saws, torches, nibblers and shears. Then you have your fixed cutting equipment; chop saws, band saws and rare cases plasma or water jet tables.

I don't know anything about nibblers or shears, never used them or seen them used. The torch I have never learned, I don't personally have one so it hasn't been something I have had a chance to. I have a buddy who loves his porta band but I haven't used it besides with him and wasn't overly impressed with it. I like cutting metal with my pneumatic cut off wheel. Discs die quickly though cause they are small and you have to have a good air supply to keep up. What are some disk brands people like to use? I have a Makita 4.5" angle grinder that I love, it wasn't cheap though. I went in buying a new bottle for my welder, bunch of other smaller stuff and asked the guy to throw in the best 4.5" angle they had that would last. Paid for it all and got out cause I was super stoked to get to work and was basically just throwing money in the air(my wife would rather I go to a strip club than a tool store, I spend way less). Long story short it was $119!! I had never spent that much before on a tool like this but its power, ergonomics and performance have made me a solid believer. I like that paddle control vs the thumb control as well. I have used multiple brands of cutting wheels on it and so far the DeWalt brand ones have been the best for me. Avoid harbor freight discs unless you want them breaking all the time.

Bigger cutting machines, if I am leaving something out please let me know. I don't have use experience with anything except metal chop saw, handheld plasma(mentioned above) that was made a rudimentary table and then I had been a water jet operator from August to December helping a friend's company out. I like having a chop saw, especially one capable of 45° cuts. I was hoping some people could share what their preferred blades are for general use and then others for specific uses like aluminum, iron, stainless etc

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd say it all depends on the material, size & thickness that you're cutting. For me, different tools for different jobs. I have a Dewalt Portaband with a SWAG Offroad stand and it's great for most things, I use it most often. I've recently cut material from 1 3/4" exhaust pipe up to 2" x 4" x 1/4" rectangle steel. You do have to be careful and feed material slowly or you can break the small blade, but otherwise it's been one of my favorite cutting tools. I have a chop saw, torch (not sure how anyone lives w/o a torch!), plasma cutter (makes a big mess), air cut-off wheel, etc.

I've been doing a lot of sheetmetal work recently on my Willys Crawler project and needed a way to cut sheetmetal that was perfectly straight. I found a Safety Guard for an angle grinder @ Harbor Freight and put it on one of their cheap grinders. If I use a straight edge, I can get a perfectly straight cut. After a few cuts, the cutoff wheel wears down and you have to raise the guard.

As for quality cutoff wheels, I think Roark Supply has some of the highest quality stuff and they're a Vendor on RME so they post up about sales and discounts every now & again.

RockChucker

Love my portaband. With a little creativity you can make a lot of things. It's a plus you don't have to worry about the disc blowing up in your face too. Cut off wheels are good to though. I buy all my abrasives from roark supply.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It really depends on what you're cutting, and what you want to do with it. For me, I cut mostly tubing (horizontal band saw) or flat plate (plasma table).