Tacoma front end clunk?

DAA

Friends '06 Tacoma is making a noise on the passenger side when it hits a bump. I've not heard it yet myself, so can't really describe it. Buddy says it's getting worse and sounds kind of ugly though. He's bringing it over later this morning to see if we can figure it out.

It's got about 140K on it, bone stock all original except for springs and shocks. After putting Bilsteins and I forget which springs on another friends newer Sport about a year and a half ago, I put his much newer factory stuff on this '06. Other than that though, everything is factory original.

Not much IFS experience, not too much idea where to start looking. Any ideas would be helpful!

- DAA

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Lube the driveshafts. I'm not saying it's the problem, but driveshafts seems to be a common cause of noise on those rigs and greasing them almost always clears it up.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Inspect the upper and lower control arm bushing, ball joints and diff mount bushings. The front lower ball joints can get noisy when worn. You'll note play if you out it in the air and shake things up.

DAA

Cool - I'll check all of the above. I don't think this truck has ever had a grease gun anywhere near it. Figure most anything that can be worn, likely is.

Won't be seeing it today after all though. Buddy woke up feeling like crap so he's not up for playing on the garage floor today!

- DAA

DAA

So I finally got to take a look at this today. Noise wasn't coming from the front end it was coming from the rear and it only took about five seconds to find the source. Broken leaf spring!

Google says it's under recall so the truck will be heading to the dealer for hopefully some free new leaf springs.

- DAA