Jeep newb from SLC

Wasatch Penguin

[FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]Well I finally got one.[/FONT]

In '87 I wanted a Jeep but could afford a Samurai (be gentle). In '93 I wanted a Jeep but could afford an Isuzu Rodeo (surprisingly capable truck). In '01, I wanted a Jeep but I forayed into a '93 Range Rover SWB Classic (elegant beast) for a while and had loads of fun with that. For the last few years I drove the handed down family '97 Audi A6 Wagon. Since the Rover I had no 4x and for the last year I did not even have a car and just took light rail or used my sons car if he was home.

[FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]I shopped used for months since last summer and fall, looked at Jeeps all over the place. Late in the year on my wife's advice I started shopping new. Found my config, with a couple extras out in the SF Bay Area where I work. Thanks to my wife pushing I got a present for Dad a couple days before Christmas[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]'17 Rhino Rubicon Unlimited. It's been out in SF since then and when I am out for work I goof around on it a bit. Popped in some Kick 10s so I can hear the radio, put some JW Speaker taillights on it and a grill insert to keep the bugs off on the road trips, but that's it. Just stock for now while I research lift after lift after lift to decide the right direction for it.
[/FONT]
Thinking hard about the TF S/T3 but the trigger is not pulled and I am deciding if I should do something before or after EJS in April. We will be down there for 9 days starting the Friday before this year. Not sure if I should wait to see the sea of options...or get it done and have some fun down there.

Greg's Falcon shock review lead me here and I am happy to find a forum with a lot of locals and what seems a polite community.

Looking forward to lots of good advice and maybe some guidance on local trails to get out on that are good for newbs. I have done plenty of wheeling over the years, but not rock crawling and looking to get my two teen (1 drives) boys involved now that we have a shiny new Jeep to go play with.

With any luck if 80 is not a mess on Wednesday afternoon I will be bringing it over from San Francisco to it's new home in SLC. Saturday may be it's first day on dirt if I am able to meet up with a couple guys to show me Rattlesnake and see what can be done on a stocker for now.

Thanks for the forum!

-Wasatch Penguin (Rhino)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Welcome! I would definitely shoot for the Teraflex ST/3 lift. It's a very complete kit, more so than my Mopar Performance 2" kit is. Greg and I got our lifts and current Jeeps at about the same time, and we have spent many hours on the trail/road together. Both lifts seem to yield the same height.

Wasatch Penguin

Great feedback...thank you. The s/t3 sure seems to have everything. My big question on that is whether it would be worth while to add the Alpine adjustable CAs or stick with the fixed Sport arms. Either way I think I am going to go with those new adjustable Falcons. Might not be necessary but what the heck, huh? Would be nice to get some intel on the piggy backs. Gregs write up on the straight Falcons was very helpful.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Great feedback...thank you. The s/t3 sure seems to have everything. My big question on that is whether it would be worth while to add the Alpine adjustable CAs or stick with the fixed Sport arms. Either way I think I am going to go with those new adjustable Falcons. Might not be necessary but what the heck, huh? Would be nice to get some intel on the piggy backs. Gregs write up on the straight Falcons was very helpful.

Hey David, good to see you on here! Glad you found the Falcon Shock review helpful, I'm running the non-adjustable 2.1 Mono-shock and I'm happy with them... having the 3.2's or 3.3's would be nice!

I've heard good things about the fixed Sport Arms with the S/T3, but it sure would be nice to fine-tune your pinion angles & caster with the adjustable Alpine Arms. I'm running the Alpine Long arms and love them. I think you're on the right track... the S/T3 combined with Falcon shocks would be a winning combo, with the Speed Bumps in the front and limiting straps all around you know that no matter what you put your JK thru, you'll have a suspension that's up to the task!